Lasik one week later

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik one week later

Postby Mike_in_VT » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:43 am

Hi everyone --

I had lasik last week (1/15/08) and just had my 1 week follow up today. From day one my outside and far distance vision has been good--as good as I had with glasses (I was nearsighted, around 3.0 in each eye). But inside and close up things are still blurry. I can't read for more than a few minutes at a time and writing this posting is a pain. According to my doc today, my vision is 20/40 right 20/30 left...not exactly what I had in mind. I don't really have dry eyes, but some eye pain in one eye, which the dr says is dryness. Halos were bad at first but have improved slightly over the course of the week, so there's some good news there.

She says it's too early to tell what will happen next. Not a very satisfying answer, as many of you know I'm sure. But what I want to know is in general does vision improve for most patients over time? After one week my vision is about what it was at day 1, and I intuitively think that the improvement would come sooner, not later in the process. Does anyone have any statistics or personal stories that whould shed light on this issue?

Thanks and I'll keep the updates coming.
Mike_in_VT

Re: Lasik one week later

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:55 am

Mike_in_VT wrote:But what I want to know is in general does vision improve for most patients over time?

The vast majority of Lasik patients are satisfied with their results at six months postop, but that probably seems like an eternity. Lasik may be fine long term, but we don't "see" long term.

The medications you are taking to reduce the probability of infection and to regulate the healing process may be affecting your vision. Dryness can cause some, if not all, of the symptoms you describe. Be sure to read about Lasik dry eye treatment.

Good distance vision in daylight is a very good sign.

In a few weeks ask your doctor for a refraction to determine your current eye prescription. The 20/Whatever test does not reveal much information. A prescription will determine if you are over or undercorrected and what amount of your vision difficulty is refractive (correctible with lenses) or related to quality (dry eye, edmea, normal healing issues).

You may want to go to a drug store and try a pair of the lowest powered reading glasses to see if they improve your near and mid-distance vision. These may be a good an inexpensive resolution to your short term needs while you heal.

If you are at or past age 40, read about reading glasses after Lasik.

Don't come to any conclusions yet. You are very, very early in the healing process. If you read here (I know it's probably tough right now) you will see many stories that start like yours and end up with a satisfactory result.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Chow Yun Fat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:57 am

Hi Mike,

I just had Lasik on Monday (1/21). I'm in the same situation as you except I'm about one line better in vision in each eye, (20/25 left, 20/30 right or just ghosting.)
Chow Yun Fat

Postby mpallo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Hello,

Just had Lasik Zyoptix on Saturday (1/19). I will be going back this Friday (1/25) for my 1 week follow-up. I had a very low prescription -1.25/-.1.00. Things were very clear the day after and through Monday. I was reading nearly 20/15 at my day after checkup.

Everything has gone tremendous, however I do have a slight bit of cloudiness in my right eye. I have very long lashes many of which have become strewn in various directions from all the drops and at first I had thought it was some crustiness that was kind of weighting down my lid from the refresh gel drops I had been using at night. That seems to be gone but I still have a bit of cloudiness which concerns me. My left eye is perfect.

My question is if they have to do any sort of retouch or adjustment is it usually done the day of the 1 week return visit? Is the retouch done the same way as the original procedure? Is it more or less intrusive?

I am from the U.S. but had the surgery done in Canada. Absolutely amazing technology. My wife had it done last year as well and could not be happier.
mpallo

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:22 pm

mpallo wrote:My question is if they have to do any sort of retouch or adjustment is it usually done the day of the 1 week return visit? Is the retouch done the same way as the original procedure? Is it more or less intrusive?

Enhancement surgery is just that; surgery. You need to go through the same benefit v. risk analysis if it is recommend.

Your eyes will not have settled down for 3-6 months. No decision about enhancement surgery is likely to be made until then.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mike_in_VT » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:59 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies. Now at Day 10. Vision is about the same, I think. I can't tell if it's getting better, or I'm just getting used to it. My guess is the latter.

Reading might be getting a tiny bit easier.

Still get occasional eye pain, but not as much as before.

Off the prescription drops as of day 7, now just on regular preservative free tears. Costco is the place to buy them -- 100 vials of Refresh Plus for $17. I use them ~ 2x/hour. Can't overdo it, right?
Mike_in_VT

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:14 am

Mike_in_VT wrote:I use them ~ 2x/hour. Can't overdo it, right?

Generally no, but the tear has three layers with the outermost being an oily lipid layer. This keeps the tears from dehydrating too quickly. You can wash away the natural tear layers with too much. Use as much as required to keep your eyes comfortable, or as much as your doctor recommends.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mpallo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Had my one week yesterday. Everything looks good and I can read the last line. I think the cloudiness in my right eye may be getting a bit better. Almost like I have a tiny drop of vaseline on it. My left eye seems to have a dull tension ache as well as the temple on the left side. Hopefully this will all go away. I use drops every hour or 2. Around 3:30 this afternoon will be exactly 7 days.
mpallo

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:43 pm

The ache can be from dry eye, but be sure to report these problems to your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mike_in_VT » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi everyone, I'm continuing to document my progress on a new topic link, "Lasik Results - Week by Week" The link below should take you there:

http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=1558
Mike_in_VT

Return to Just Had It