Hey croanster, tell me about your ghosting

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby Blindbat2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:07 pm

Croanster,
I am almost 8 weeks post op from Customvue Lasek. I am seeing ghosting in both eyes that is showing absolutely no signs of going away. How long has it been for you? Are you seeing multiple images or just two? Car headlights, street ligths, traffic lights, LEDs? What does your doctor say?
Blindbat2007

Postby croanster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Hey there – I only get the ghosting effect in one eye (unfortunately it’s my strongest eye). It’s only a single ghost and I’m pretty sure it’s just an astigmatism issue compounded by a bit of dry eye.

It’s been 7 months for me now and I’m pretty sure my eyes have stabilised. The ghost isn’t noticeable at all in bright sunlight, things just aren’t as sharp as they should be. As light decreases it becomes more noticeable. I find green lights (eg traffic lights) and blue lighting the worst. Also deteriorates the more tired I am which, funnily enough, is usually when there’s no sun so that compounds the problem. The ghosting is everywhere not just light sources. Street lights, signs, the moon etc – the lines on a tennis court are pretty bad from the cheap seats..

Last time I went for a checkup around 2 months ago, I could read the bottom line on the chart (20/12.5) with a light prescription of around -0.75 for the astig. Without the glasses I could comfortably read the 20/25 line and guessed the 20/20 line. I go back in a week so I’ll know more then.

Do your ghosts go away with glasses / correction? It might still just be the epithelium healing in your case. Don’t know much about lasek..
croanster

Postby Blindbat2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:44 pm

My ghosts

I am seeing equally bad out of both eyes at night. Like you, my daytime vision is good. However, soon as the sun drops, the ghosts rise. I have seen my vision improve through the weeks as far as visual acuity goes, but the nightime ghosting is driving me nuts.

I have a bad feeling about it. If there were some indication that the ghosting was subsiding, I wouldn't feel so bad. But because my visual acuity has improved, although slowly, and the ghosting is the same as it was 1 week after the surgery leads me to believe I am stuck with it.

I had a post op visit at 6 weeks and expressed my concern to the doctor. He said, " Do I look worried? No. Then you shouldn't. It's normal".

I don't care if he's worried. They are my eyes! I'm worried!
I also found out the astigmatism is worse in both eyes after the surgery than before.

Yes, I forgot about the moon. That black sky sure makes it depressing when I look at the moon. I try to avoid it now.

I know its not dry eye. The drops do squat to stop the ghosting. They help a little in visual acuity, but it does nothing for me as far as double vision goes. I haven't tried correction with glasses yet.

So you're going to get yours zapped again?
Blindbat2007

Postby croanster » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:44 am

Sounds the same for me. Drops don’t seem to change the level of ghosting much. I’m keen to get the enhancement done but I’ll have to see what the doc says. Last visit he was confident it wouldn’t be needed. I don’t know if there’s an acuity / surgery cutoff type of thing. Like “well you can read the 20/20 line so you don’t need an enhancement”. (it’s a bright office...)

I also don’t want to end up worse off but I rekon at this stage I’ve started the process, might as well finish it properly and hopefully get rid of some of the astigmatism. Have to wait and see. I’m still happy I had it done it’s just that there’s room for improvement.
croanster

Return to Just Had It