2 month update

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Postby lboogie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:58 pm

Hello, I'd like to know how you both are doing? I am in the very same situation, only 29 years old.
lboogie

Postby rosecmd » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm

lboogie, thanks for your note. I'm at almost 7 months now and my custom wavefront hyperopic enhancement surgery is scheduled for next Friday, Feb 8! I'm pretty freaked out about it actually. My eyes currently are still a bit dry, but managed so it's tolerable. My vision is pretty stable, very clear. I continue to be about .75 - 1 diopter overcorrected into hyperopia and that is why I am doing the surgery - I have blurry near and mid range vision. It will take about 20 seconds with the laser I'm told as it has to travel around the outside of the cornea, instead of in the center. I had my wavefront analysis the other day and discussed it with my doctor. I think she will accept the one on the right eye with a little adjustment from .88
back to .75 dioptors. The wavefront said the left eye was about 1.33 dioptors, but we don't think so...she's going to adjust it to 1, I believe. All I can do is hope it all goes well. I'm sure she'll do another manual refraction on the 8th to double check, but I've had so many over the past few months and while my vision might have fluctuated in the early days, the refraction was always about the same from month to month.

I've seen how my results should turn out and my near and mid-range vision should be much better. I will still be presbyopic, but I know that and with the simulations I've had, once I'm out 2 feet or so, my vision should be much better.

I hope for a speedier recovery. I dread having to go through the worse dry eye thing again for several months. I hope my eyes react as expected to the laser, healing, etc. Wish me luck!

What's your story?
rosecmd

Postby lboogie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:52 pm

I had a all laser lasik 2 months ago, and have been having headaches and eye strain. Turns out, with the dialated refraction I am +.5 in one eye and +.7 in the other. Doc says it's not really that much, but I'm pretty sure it is causing my eye strain -- and even the continued focusing fluctations.

I have crystal clear vision, but the still eye strain, and bad dry eyes. THe thing that weirds me out is that when I relax my eyes conciously the focus goes 'in and out" Even at at far away distances. All of this is making very scared. Enhancement would mean the potential of loosing my cear vision. I am on steriod drops again -- supposedly to clear up these headache sensations. I'm not very sure about that tactic, but what do I know.

I just don't know how it happened -- he is a very good surgeon. I see him again in 3 weeks at the 3 month post-op. I think I'll also start the process of seeing my Kaiser optometrist to get his opinion.
lboogie

Postby rosecmd » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Oh, absolutely, induced hyperopia causes eye strain. I had to take Advil daily for the first two months or so. But, lasik is not a perfect thing, and everyone's eyes heal differently. While my eye muscles gradually got used to the increased strain of the hyperopia, even that .5-1 dioptor is a "big deal", tell him to simulate the effects on himself and see how he likes it!! Really...I have not really changed my prescription much at all since my surgery, my eyes have just adjusted with time and my dry eye is very managed. Warm compresses are also great for the eye strain. I also found the plain Refresh drops and the Endura (both in invidual vials) were the best for my eyes. I think the methylcellolose in Refresh Plus and Celluvisc bothered my eyes. I just started using Genteal Gel in a tube at night and I like that too.

I also have my longtime optometrist to bounce things off, but if you go see another MD, you must go see someone with refractory surgery experience so when you request your Kaiser opthalmology consult/ferrel, ask them if any of their docs have this. For me, it was so helpful to get some additional advice. I know that I don't want to be stuck with this crummy near and mid-range vision. After about 7-9 feet out, my vision is really good, and prescription glasses for hyperopia cause me eye strain for distance and make my eyes look huge - I hate them.

I'll let you know how the enhancement goes. At least no flap cut!
rosecmd

Postby Walt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:40 am

rosecmd wrote:I'll let you know how the enhancement goes. At least no flap cut!

I'm looking forward to your retreatment. I have the exact same problem at 49 years old +.75 and +1 six weeks post surgery. I was -2.5 in each eye.

Hope it goes well. :)
Walt

Postby rosecmd » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:18 pm

Why, thanks Walt! Do you think you could go through it for me? :) Just kidding. Personally, I'm so dreading going through it. However, I am so looking forward to not having such blurry mid-range and near vision. Even though the first 18 or so inches will be somewhat blurry, the mid-range should be cleared up. Let's hope so. I'll let you know after the 8th how it all went. Are you going to have a retreatment?
rosecmd

Postby rosecmd » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Oh Walt, I see you are only 6 weeks out. You have a lot of healing to do yet. However, I did not regress much over the past months, maybe you will.
rosecmd

Postby Walt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:01 pm

Rose, Since my 3 week appointment my quality of vision has improved but the refraction is about the same. I started out -2.5 in each eye so while more regression at this point is possible it is not probable.

At the 3 week mark my left eye was 20/70 but the refraction was only +.75 and my right eye was 20/40 and the refraction was +1. Ten days later just about all of the night time ghosting went away. So now I have a very clear blur.

Now when I awake I need +1.25 readers to view midrange and I manage to read my computer monitor with these readers too. A couple hours after being actively awake I move down to +1.0 readers.

I don't wear glasses to drive. As a matter of fact these old eyes must still have some accommodation left in them, because after a full shift on the computer at work (night shift) I would bet I am around 20/30. I can read all signs on the way home and the license plates close to me. I also don't need glasses to view the TV and can read most print on the ads at that time.

To the credit of my surgeon, his group did show me exactly how bad my near vision would be assuming everything went perfect. But they also showed me my computer vision was far enough out that it should have been perfect.

The good news is if they over shoot the mark a little this time you will be back in your comfort zone so to speak. I would much rather be -.5 and have glasses in the car for driving then be +.5 and need glasses for 90% of the things I do.

Good Luck.
Walt

Postby rosecmd » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:45 pm

Wow, you only need 1.00 readers? I need 2.00 readers to read close, and these are also fine on the computer. Basically, when I "peer" out over the readers into mid-vision land, everything is kind of blurry until I reach distance. Of course, when I use my drops I have that 4 seconds of pretty good close vision until I blink. It's very aggravating, but I have kind of gotten used to it. For quite a while, I wore prescription glasses inside, but when I took them off, things were blurrier, which I attribute to my eyes relaxing somewhat with corrected vision. However, outside, my vision is pretty good, 20/25 in one eye and 20/30 in the other and I can even see well at night. I would also rather be a bit nearsighted than somewhat farsighted, which really does stink.
rosecmd

Postby Walt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:04 pm

To read close I too need +2 readers. I opened the electric bill with my 1.25 readers and almost had a heart attack. I switched to +2 readers and I was relieved that it was about $90.00 less.

Right now I am using +1 to view the computer and the TV, but I couldn't read anything up close with these glasses. The +1 glasses are a compromise so I can see everything in the room. The keyboard is blurry and the monitor could be better but this way I don't have to look over my glasses.

If I'm not using the computer then I don't wear the glasses to watch TV.
Walt

Rose I am thinking about you today

Postby Judy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:52 pm

Rose, I am hoping you are having excellent results today and your enhancement works out the kinks. Quick recovery and no dry eye return and better vision.....

My fingers are crossed for you, my sister......Judy
Judy

Postby Walt » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Rose,

Wow, February 8th came quickly.

I too have my fingers crossed. :)

This retreatment mirrors my potential retreament exactly and I hope to hear your success story soon.
Walt

Retreatment for Induced hyperopia yesterday! :)

Postby rosecmd » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi Walt & Judy...

I can't type much, I have a lot of tearing, scratchiness, and light sensitive irritation today as my bandage contact lenses were removed this morning. Plus, my old readers no longer work! If I sit far enough back from the cmputer screen, I don't need them. I felt fine until the bandage contacts came out! Now I feel like I have 10 eyelashes stuck in each eye! It's the edges of my flap neededing to settle down. Im just trying to rest. My surgeon almost put new ones back in, but they were making my vision blurry (they get gooped up with the pred forte). So she decided not to. They made my eyes a lot more comfy.

My near and mid-range vision are excellent, my distance a bit blurry but I expect that to improve. My natural presbyopia is not bad at all. I had 13 seconds of laser in each eye to correct +1 in the left, +.88 in the right plus whatever little bits of astigmatism or whatever the wavefront analysis measured. My surgeon adjusted the left wavefront measurements from +1.3 to +1 and accepted the right one's measurements of .88 (three were done on each eye last week).

More later, maybe tomorrow if I can. I'm glad I did it. Today is a challenge, though...ah, the healing process.

But I can see! I can see much better. Just uncomfortable right now...thanks for checking in.

Rose
rosecmd

Postby rosecmd » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:45 pm

Well, three days out and it's been an interesting and painful three days. I went back to the surgeon today for follow-up, but spoke to her twice on Sat after she removed the bandage contact lenses I had lots of pain, scratching & tearing, it was awfull. she tole me I had areas of loose epitilium and ?rough edges on my flaps (left worse than right). I was told to put Genteal Gel (soft, loose gel) in my eyes every two hours or so and she told me to take some painpulls my husband had. I basically have sat with my eyes closed using my drops & gel for two days & nights!

My right eye felt much better today and only has a tiny area of loose epithileum that she left alone to heal. I have not pain or discomfort in that eye. My left eye she numbed and genrtly wiped off or down whatever loose cells there were and she put in another bandage contact lense. No more gel in that eye, just Pred Forte, Zymar, Refresh, no water in eyes, no rubbing, googles, etc. She'll check it again in two days.

The good news is my vision is good in both eyes, well with the contact lense it's a bit off, but when all is said & done I'll have great mid-range & distance vision and I have better near vision and I need to get lower power readers. My old 2's are too strong.

When I asked her about my "loose epithilieum", she said my flaps were ok, but my eye anatomy is such that along with my treated dry eye, my flaps edges are having a harder time healing. She will just watch it closely and see me every other day til they seem more stable. Hope she's right!
rosecmd

Hi Rose

Postby Judy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:57 pm

Rose, I am glad to hear your vision has improved so much. I am hoping the healing process goes fast from here out. Have you found it better or worse than the original surgery?

I am delighted your mid and far vision have improved as having them off kilter makes things tough. Fortunately for me, my mid and far vision improved after about 6 months.....of course my far vision is not 20/20 and is more like 20/30ish but it is acceptable. My near vision is definitely my biggest challenge.....but I suspect an enhancement will not make that better.

Take care Rose and keep on posting as we all feel like we are on the journey with you and we all want to see you reach a great end of this trip.....Judy
Judy

PreviousNext

Return to Had It A While Ago