Epi lasik vs femto lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Epi lasik vs femto lasik

Postby blaudk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi. Am 45, with very bad eyesight (L : -13.5, R : -11.5) and very thin corneal lining. My doctor (in Denmark) has suggested epi lasik with a Zeiss Meditec MEL80 G scan laser. He also has a Zeiss VisuMax Femtosekund laser. My doctor and I agree that my prescription will probably come down to around -3 in each eye (hopefully) and I'm fine with that. I've worn contact lenses without any problems for about 20+ years until I had an infection which left a tiny scar in my left eye making it impossible for me to wear contacts since then. My question is : what is the femto lasik method and which would be a better option for me - Epi lasik or Femto second lasik?

Thanks in advance!
blaudk

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:40 pm

The primary difference between Epi-Lasik and All-Laser Lasik (femtosecond) is whether or not you will have a Lasik flap.

The first step to Lasik is to create a thin flap of corneal tissue. This flap is moved back, the laser removed tissue from the area, and the flap is repositioned over the treatment area.

In Lasik, a mechanical microkeratome is used to create the flap. This is essentially a surgical blade. In All-Laser Lasik a femtosecond laser is used to create the flap. Using precise focusing, the femtosecond laser creates tiny "bubbles" within the cornea. Many of these bubbles next to each other create a perforation that combine to create the Lasik flap.

If you are going to have vision correction surgery, then you should consider very closely the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik. There are two primary advantages in your situation. One is that without a Lasik flap, you have no possibility of a Lasik flap related complication during surgery or for the rest of your life. Even if the probability of a Lasik flap complication is relatively low, no possibility of a complication is almost always better than low probability.

The other, and possibly more compelling reason, that you should investigate PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik closely is that they will leave more of your corneal thickness untouched. This is very important to keep corneal stability and would improve the probability that a very high eye prescription could be fully corrected. You may not need to have 3.00 diopters of error remaining. With a surface ablation it would be more likely that you could achieve full correction.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby blaudk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi Glenn, Thank you for your response but I'm still confused. My doctor ruled out PRS and Lasik since since my left eye (-13.5) would only come down to around -5 with these techniques. Whereas with epi lasik, he could correct both eyes to around -3. I have no idea what Femto Lasik is all about but my doctor recommends Epi Lasik. Would that be the way to go?

Thanks once again!
blaudk

Return to Thinking About It