slow corneal healing after prk

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

slow corneal healing after prk

Postby blurry » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:13 am

I had prk 14 days ago, and my left cornea has still not healed (still wearing contact), my right contact was removed 5 days after prk. My surgeon says he has no idea why it's taking so long, and has no explanation. Should i be worried. My vision is 20/30 in right eye, and not very good in the left eye. I'm concerned about the slow healing and my surgeon is not saying anything - any input or advice would be appreciated. :(
blurry

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:56 am

It is probably the lack of information that is more concerning than the actual slow healing. It is common for one eye to heal differently than another. It is even not uncommon for it to take two weeks before significant improvement occurs, but without a clear description of what is wrong it is difficult to make any comparison to previous patients or available research.

Although the doctors don't give a direct reason, are there other relevant problems such as dry eye, allergies, etc., that may give a clue?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

slow corneal healing

Postby blurry » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:23 pm

There are no other identified reasons for the slow healing. No allergies this time of year, no excessive dryness, no infection. Saw the actual surgeon today, he stated that he has no idea why and that it is rare for it to take so long to heal. He did assure me that this does not affect expected visual outcome. Not sure in my belief of his assurances, like I said he doesn't have any answers except to wait it out. Does anyone know where I can find more info, or research articles (for my husband to read as I can't), we do have medical backgrounds, so can handle to researched based info. Any input to my last question or my frustrations would be appreciated.
blurry

Postby tootsieroll » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:19 pm

I am no expert on PRK but having had the procedure myself I can relate to the frustration of the unknown. I'm not sure if this will help but I've been taking 1000 mg of Vitamin C everyday to promote healing. I also took it two weeks before the surgery and the top layer of the cornea healed quite quickly for me. Definitely speak to your doctor and see if that is a good option for you.
tootsieroll

slow corneal healing

Postby blurry » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:37 pm

Thank you. I am (and started 1 week prior to surger) taking 1000mg vit C to assist with healing.
blurry

Postby gbush » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:48 am

Are the epithelial cells getting close to filling the final defect? Or is it still a large gap? I know I had a small hole for several days (~10 days post-op) that took its time to heal.
gbush

slow corneal healing

Postby blurry » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:13 pm

The gap was getting smaller. The surgeon says it is about 80% healed, however it has been very slow, and with no real change in the last 4 days. I now have my left eye patched to see if this will encourage healing. It is now 17 days since surgery.
blurry

Return to Just Had It