Why does a warm compress make such a difference to my vision

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Why does a warm compress make such a difference to my vision

Postby croanster » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:19 pm

It’s around 7 months since I had all laser lasik for hyperopia. My eyes are still a bit dry although much improved. (I go through 2 – 3 vials of refresh plus during the day and use a gel at night). Generally by around 10 at night the time display on the video is looking pretty blurry and the ghosting seems to increase. If I use the wheat pack on my eyes for a couple of minutes my vision improves dramatically.

Is this simply a dry eye issue? Is it resting my eye muscles so I can focus around my remaining script? Does a warm compress constrict my pupil minimising the effects of the remaining astigmatism? Can’t work it out.
croanster

Postby rosecmd » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I love warm compresses too. They really do help dry, tired eyes. I've noticed that if I "lift" the compress after only a couple of minutes, my vision can be quite blurry, but if I wait 10 minutes, it's much better, quite clear. I believe it must be a couple of factors a play, but one is that the warmth "melt" and causes the release of oil from the ?23 or so tiny oil glands that are located in the margin of the lower eye lid. These glands can get clogged up with all the darn drops we all use. Once this oil disperses over the eyes, vision is better and eyes are more comfortable. Perhaps Glenn has more info. on this.
rosecmd

Postby croanster » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:40 pm

Ok I think I’ve found the most likely reason for this. I noticed something tonight quite by accident. I had an itch on the top of my left eyelid. I rubbed it gently and for a split second noticed everything became quite clear. So I touched around the top of my eye (through the lid) until I found just the right spot. My vision became crystal clear.

I printed out an eye chart from the net and tried it out. I can read a ‘fuzzy’ 20/20 missing a few letters normally. Pressing gently on the spot (around 11o’clock on the eye) the 20/12.5 line is razor sharp. So it looks like I don’t need an enhancement after all – I just have to walk around with a finger in my eye! ;) (I’m definitely not encouraging anyone to start poking themselves in the eye either so please don’t)

Seriously though, the difference is amazing to me. The double vision disappears completely and everything is crystal clear. I think when I use the heat pack, it’s resting on that part of my eye and temporarily changes the shape mimicking the ‘finger in the eye’.

Anyone got any other ideas? How much astigmatism does a finger in the eye correct???
croanster

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:01 pm

It does not take much astigmatism to lower the quality of vision, especially in low light conditions. Your doctor can examine you and determine just how much astigmatism you have. Corrective lenses would determine if your vision improvement with manual manipulation is due to changing the astigmatism.

If you are still needing artificial tears and gels at night, then I recommend that you visit your doctor and request an examination to determine if you have an underlying dry eye issue. You may need supplements, a different dry eye treatment regimen, Restasis, or similar change to help the situation.

A warm compress can help with the flow the tiny channels that carry the tear fluids, especially the lipids, which are oily and help keep the tears from drying out too quickly.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby croanster » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks Glenn, I really appreciate your advice and suggestions as always. As it turns out, I went to my optometrist 2 days ago and got a pair of glasses made up. Script is RE: +0.25 -0.50 090 (marginal improvement the eye is good enough and amblyopic anyway) and LE +0.25 -0.75 030 (huge astonishing and magnificent improvement!!)

I just picked up the glasses today and traffic lights (especially the green ones) were round instead of football shaped for the first time since I had the surgery! Everything looks nice and sharp and crisp and, well - just plain good. I’m dying to have a look at the moon but it’s been raining all day and doesn’t look like letting up. The slight partial starbursting (arcing? – is that what they call coma?) is still there but I’d rather have a couple of in focus starbursts than fuzzy ones any day of the week!!

The dryness is much improved just in the last month which is why I was questioning the effectiveness of the heat pack. I take flax supplements daily and use a lid scrub among other strategies. (no coffee etc) My doc thought restasis was overkill in my case. Probably fair enough.

Had a check-up with my surgeon a couple of days ago. Flaps are good, healing is good. Results are good – at least medically. I really need to see him again. You said somewhere else Glenn will a patient be 20/happy. I guess that’s the point. I have borderline 20/20 but am used to seeing much better – I’m glad I still can see that well with these new glasses, but that’s not really why we all take this journey. I just hope it’s not over for me yet.

PS – seems like a finger in the eye can correct about a 0.75 astigmatism!!! ;)
croanster

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:51 pm

0.75 diopters of astigmatism is about 8-10 microns of corenal tissue difference. A human hair is about 60 microns. It does not take much of a finger in the eye to manipulate 8-10 microns.

After your eyes have fully settled down you may want to discuss your options with your doctors, including contacts, nigttime rigid gas permeable (RGP) contacts, or enhancement surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago