Lasik for Presbyopia

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik for Presbyopia

Postby capolst » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:51 pm

Hello, I am excited I found this board. I am very seriously considering doing monovision Lasik. I have been to see the DR. & he is having me wear monvision contacts. I have adjusted fairly well after wearing them for a month. My prescription is +3.25 for reading (left eye) and +1.50 for distance (dominant eye). He says that people with my prescription do well w/the Lasik, but I am a little scared. I called my regular optometrist to find out how much my prescription has changed over the past few years (very little- I am 51), but he said some discouraging things about people getting Lasik w/my prescription. Does anyone know how people fare with my type prescription & Lasik. I believe the DR.is using LADARvision- Custom Cornea (Or something like this ). I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!
capolst

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:04 am

According to your prescription you are hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted). Hyperopic Lasik correction is more challenging than myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. You may want to read our article about farsighted Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lscha » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Capolst: I am almost 60. Hyperopic with astigmatism.
My prescription before Lasik was +175+100x180 and +200+050x005. I am not a candidate for monovision. (urp) I just had my eyes done 3 weeks ago and have alot of healing to do (ghosting at distances) but I am so happy with what I can see already. I would never regret it. I put the cheaters (1.00) on sometimes but other than that, NO Glasses!

I don't have any trouble driving at night. There is less glare than when I wore glasses. Bottom line: I can see better with the ghosting than I could without my glasses before and headaches are gone. (must have been due to trifocal blended lenses)

PS: All my optometrists said I could not have Lasik surgery.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
lscha

Prescription size

Postby capolst » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:13 pm

In reading the response I got from Ischa, I realized maybe I wrote my prescription wrong. What I wrote was the contact strengths I am wearing. I do think the Lasik person said I was +1.50 for distance with 1.75 added for reading. (I am wearing + 3.25 in my left eye for reading & +1.50 in my right for distnce). Does this mean I am hyperopic? Does this change my outlook with Lasik? I read the article on Lens exchange and am also wondering if this eliminates the need for monovision? I really appreciate any input. Ischa, was your done for monovision? It seems like your numbers were close to each other. Thanks!
capolst

Oops

Postby capolst » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Oops, jusrt reread & realized Ischa said no monovision surgery was done. Was there a reason it coudn't be done or was it just that they were close (the eye prescriptions). Thanks!
capolst

Postby lscha » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:32 pm

The only reason mono was not an option for ME is because I rely on both eyes too much and mono makes me nauseated. I opted for distance correction and the need to use cheaters. I want both eyes to see distance. So far it is a bonus that I can actually read most stuff without glasses right now. This may change as I heal but I'm lovin' it right now!!
lscha

Postby capolst » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:47 pm

Congratualtions Ischa! Do you know if they used custom Lasik (I think the Dr. I am going to uses CustomCornea). Also, the link about RLE (above)- did you look into this as an alternative to Lasik? I really do torment myself trying to make these decisions :-) . I have been wearing the monovision contacts for a month & had to wear my glasses on Friday & really disliked it! Thanks.
capolst

Postby lscha » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:12 pm

I don't know much about the different types of Lasik, but if it helps, I know that my opthamologist (sp?) uses the Bausch n Lombe flying spot and never moves the machine from his clinic. You have to travel to where it is even tho he has an extra office about an hour away where he is able to do screening.

I didn't look into any other procedure because I was impressed with this particular doctor. A friend of ours was screened and was told he was not a good candidate even tho other docs said they would do the procedure. He told my friend that the money he would spend on the procedure would not justify the results even tho it would be an improvement to his vision. This doctor's office was not a mill.

I did some research on my doctor and found he did an extra year fellowship on strictly Laser surgury. Found out he's a perfectionist. He was the only one I had complete faith in to operate on me.

My procedure involved a flap and about 2 minutes per eye.
lscha

Postby capolst » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:56 pm

Thanks for your help. The Dr. I am going to is a private practice dr. & one of the 2 listed at this site as being a U.S.A. dr's in my area. I am going to take some of the questions from the 50 hard questions (this site) to ask him. He said I was a good candidate. I am very hopeful I can do something- I definitely don't want to wear glasses! I would be too afraid to not correct for close up work- everything is totally fuzzy w/out glasses (close). Thanks!
capolst

Postby lscha » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:29 pm

You will do great! I'm sure. One of my friends has contacts that give her both corrections like monovision. She does just fine. I couldn't even wear contacts so that's another reason I'm so thrilled with my Lasik.

Laura
lscha

Return to Thinking About It