LASIK Interlase

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

LASIK Interlase

Postby ken3000 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:50 pm

I had LASIK INTERLASE 2 weeks ago and since then I've been living a kinda nightmare that never seems to end.

My right eye is under corrected, my left eye is over corrected, my vision is blurry and I have continuous headaches and a painful difficulty to see. Before the operation I had no astigmatism, now I have a high degree of astigmatism in both my eyes. The blood rings around my pupils also known as the hematoma are also still there.
Last edited by ken3000 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ken3000

Postby Walt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:52 am

At this point in your healing, if it is not perfect, it is common to be depressed, angry and loaded for bear. I was seeing three distinct images in low light situations at this point and thought I must have had an astigmatism induced into both eyes. When I called and asked the doc they said there was no astigmatism when they did a refraction and that my eyes were over corrected to about +1. The multiple images were from edema and the eye is still healing.

Three weeks later I no longer see three images but I am still over corrected. Slap on some cheap readers from the store and I;m fine for now. In 3-4 months I anticipate getting retreated, but there is a lot of healing left and things may improve between now and then.

Give us some more details, what did you start at? Where exactly is your refraction error now? How old are you? When they do the refraction (better 1 or 2 thing) are they able to correct your vision.

At this point the odds are good that you will end up fine. You might possibly need a retreatment but it is too early to tell. Let things heal and let us know the results of your 1 month check up.

Peace
Walt

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:57 pm

We can attempt to provide information about your situation, but only aboutyour eyes and healing. I'm afraid we are not of much help regarding litigation.

The sub-conjunctival hemorrhage or hematoma can be caused by the microkeratome when it is affixed to the eye to create the Lasik flap. This is essentially a bruse. They do take a relatively long time to resolve, but they do eventually disappear.

At two weeks postop you are not really over or under anything...you are in the process of healing. It is way too early to come to any conclusions about your final outcome. It appears you expected the "20-Minute Miracle". If you read here you will learn that Lasik can be more of a six month process.

The information Walk seeks would be very helpful for us to guide you to information that may be of interest.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ken3000 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:37 am

Six weeks after the operation, I feel very good now.

I will see the doctor tomorrow and will tell you his findings.
ken3000

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:12 am

That is good to hear!
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ken3000 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:08 pm

Six weeks after the operation.

The doctor tells me my left eye is still swollen. That's why the left eye vision is blurred. I could see the letters better with my left eye when he placed a narrow peep hole infront of my left eye. Actually my left eye felt better last week but this week it's a little worse, can it be the computer screens, or the fatigue or the stress, or can it be just getting worse?

The right eye is ok. I can see the letters on the wall. He told me I have minus 0.5 or 0.6 or something.

Please see here the result in the technical language and tell me what it means in English.

Click on this thumbnail:

I await your remarks

BIG THANKS !!
ken3000

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:40 am

Please remember that I am not a doctor.

The scans indicate that you have very low myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision with more than enough astigmatism to cause the symptoms you describe.

See the colored hourglass figure in the center of your right eye? That is an indication of astigmatism. The autorefractor indicates right eye astigmatism of 1.00 diopters, however the surface map indicates astigmatism of 1.75 diopters.

On your left eye there is a spot that appears to be elevated. That is the dark reddish/brown area in the twelve o'clock position. This is likely the area to which the doctor refers as being inflammed. You also have an hourglass in this eye, but it is a bit twisted. That is possibly due to the inflammation. The autorefractor and surface map indicates astigmatism of right at 1.00 diopters

Your surgeon is the best person to intrepret these tests for you, but this should give you an idea of what questions to ask.

Your vision is likely worse in low light environments, much better in bright light, your right eye would probably greatly benefit from corrective lenses until all the healing resolves, your right eye may benefit somewhat from corrective lenses until the healing resolves.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ken3000 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:55 am

Thank you so much for the info!

The doctor avoided to give me any more clarifications and asked me to come back in one month. This is why I'm searching for answers here, especially that I did not have any astigmatism before the operation.

As i understand, I now have 5 main problems:

1- Left eye inflammation (blurry-uncomfortable)
2- Left eye astigmatism 1,00 diopters
3- Right eye astigmatism 1,75 diopters
4- Left eye myopia
5- Right eye myopia

My questions:

a- How long do you think it will take before my swollen left eye becomes normal? Will paracetamol quicken the process?
b- Will my astigmatism correct itself by itself with time? In this case how long will it take before my astigmatism is corrected?
c- Will my myopia correct itself by itself with time? In this case how long will it take before my myopia is corrected?
d- Do I need to use any correcting glasses? taking into consideration that I do not feel any discomfort in my right eye but rather in my left inflammed eye.
e- Is it possible that fatigue, stress, or computer screens have worsened my healing process?
f- Why do I feel comfortable looking at the CRT computer screen at the office but uncomfortable looking at the flat IBM computer screen at home?

-
ken3000

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:24 am

ken3000 wrote:a- How long do you think it will take before my swollen left eye becomes normal?

This is very difficult to predict. Your surgeon, who has the advantage of knowledge and examination, is probably unable to predict when the inflammation will resolve.
ken3000 wrote:Will paracetamol quicken the process?

Paracetamol, known in the United States as acetaminophen, may provide mild pain relief but is not an anti-inflammatory.
ken3000 wrote:b- Will my astigmatism correct itself by itself with time?

Inflammation and dry eye can cause or exacerbate astigmatism. Whatever amout is caused by these and other factors will resolve as those issues resolve.
ken3000 wrote:In this case how long will it take before my astigmatism is corrected?

Again, nearly impossible to predict.
ken3000 wrote:c- Will my myopia correct itself by itself with time?

Inflammation of corneal tissue can cause myopic shift. As the inflammation resolves, the myopia may resolve as well.
ken3000 wrote:In this case how long will it take before my myopia is corrected?

The same answer, unfortunately.
ken3000 wrote:d- Do I need to use any correcting glasses? taking into consideration that I do not feel any discomfort in my right eye but rather in my left inflammed eye.

Glasses will likely not provide any relief from discomfort, but would likely provide much better vision quality. A refraction (which is better, one or two?) can show you what vision would be like with glasses. You can decide then.
ken3000 wrote:e- Is it possible that fatigue, stress, or computer screens have worsened my healing process?

Absolutely. All these factors can have a negative impact on the health of yoru eyes. Computer users are notorious for not blinking often enough, contributing to dry eye problems.
ken3000 wrote:f- Why do I feel comfortable looking at the CRT computer screen at the office but uncomfortable looking at the flat IBM computer screen at home?

The physical comfort/discomfort should be the same except for a few issues. When you are in a well lighted environment, such as looking at a brightly lighted CRT, your pupils get smaller and you get the pinhole effect that provides better quality vision. Your LCD may not be as bright. Also, change your refresh rate on your operating system's monitor settings to the highest possible. This can reduce fatigue.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ken3000 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks for the reply.

I can understand that neither you nor my surgeon can guess when I will get better. But is it by any chance possible that I will have to live with an inflamed left eye for the rest of my life?
Will my eyes need more than 2 years to recover from the Lasik interlase?
Generally speaking, and according to your experience, patients like me who are living post operation complications, when should I start to really get worried?
ken3000

Return to Just Had It