lasik...am i a good candidate?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

lasik...am i a good candidate?

Postby sumisudharshan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:16 pm

I had my first lasik evaluation before 7 years back in india and was told that my cornea is too thick even if i had lasik i mught end up with some power left over...and i have a very high prescription of -11 and -13...now i am in states...i have scheduled an appt for the 15th feb,,,friday...do u think i may be agood candidate and can i go ahead and go for lasik even if i have some little power left?glasses and contacts have been a hassle to me..please advice..i am nervous...i want this pretty badly...has there been any advances in past 7 years?
sumisudharshan

Postby Pappy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:21 am

Do some research into IOLs (inter ocular lenses - FDA approved 2 years ago) they are for people with high miopia (>10.5) and you'll have less problems with starburst, halos and the like, although many other risks involved there.

Good luck
Pappy

Postby sumisudharshan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:08 pm

I heard that lasik can ba done till -14d...is that so?thanks for ur response
sumisudharshan

Postby Pappy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:00 pm

sumisudharshan wrote:I heard that lasik can ba done till -14d...is that so?thanks for ur response

You'd have to check with your doc and with such high myopia I'd probably get 2 or 3 opinions on it. It will most likely depend on your corneal thickness and corneal shape and if you have any pre-existing HOAs (high order aberations). I know back when they first started doing lasik they treated as high as -20. I do not think this is the case any more do to the amount of removal and the FDA requirements.

Good luck with your research.
Pappy

Return to Thinking About It