two doctors two opinions who is right

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

two doctors two opinions who is right

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:44 am

I have scene a couple doctors here in Vancouver, and I am hearing two very different things...

One doctor is saying that I should do a custom wavefront PRK procedure because of corneal flatness.

The other doctor is saying that I should do a convential PRK procedure, that corneal flatness is irrelevant. He is also saying that with my prescription, a custom wavefront PRK procedure actually increases the chance of an overcorrection.

Help! What should I do?

Thanks,
Sulman
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:46 am

Sulman,

Corneal flatness is relevant with both Lasik and PRK, but may be an indicator that PRK is a better choice than Lasik for your long-term outcome.

The only way any doctor can know if you require a wavefront-guided ablation is if that doctor has performed a wavefront diagnostic. Without the diagnostic, the doctor is just guessing in the dark.

You should read http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik- ... custom.htm for details about conventional vs. customized wavefront Lasik, PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik refractive surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It