I bumped my eye.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

I bumped my eye.

Postby kjr39 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:40 am

Hi all,

I had wavefront intralasik last Friday and have had a couple of complications, both flap related.

The first, I had white blood cells under the flaps of both eyes, but the meds they game me took gave of that pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, I also had a problem with a wrinkle under the flap of my right eye that caused the doc to lift the flap and iron out the wrinkle. I got another bandage contact lens and some sleeping pills to take a rest.

Long story short, ths eye has been pretty sensitive and requiring a lot of eye drips since they took the contact lens out.

To make matters worse, I finally went back to work today and in my haste, I bumped that same stupid eye. After a bit of pain and cursing myself out, I have been worried that I may have messed up the flap again... My vision is not any worse, it is still the same amount of sensitive, and is red, but it was red before.

My question is, should I worry (I'm really good at worrying) and how much?

I called the doc and they said not to worry about it. I have a follow up in a month...
kjr39

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:04 am

If you truly caused a trauma induced Lasik flap problem you would probably know within the first few hours, usually immediately.

If the trauma wrinkled the flap, you would likely have an immediate reduction of vision clarity. If the trauma induced something like DLK, you would have a reduction of vision clarity within the first 24-36 hours. If you did something that caused epithelial cells to get underneath the Lasik flap, that can be seen at your next appointment. Epithelial ingrowth is normally a relatively benign problem that does not require emergent care.

Keep your doctor informed of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kjr39 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 am

What would be a symptom of trauma induced Lasik flap problem. My right eye is more blurry than my left, but it has been since they took off the bandage.

Also, if I did cause a problem with the flap, would they be able to fix that at the 1 month appointment?

Just to clarify, I did have DLK right after the surgery, but they took care of it with some eye drops...

Thanks!
kjr39

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:14 am

kjr39 wrote:What would be a symptom of trauma induced Lasik flap problem.

Significant reduction in vision clarity, often associated with pain.

kjr39 wrote:Also, if I did cause a problem with the flap, would they be able to fix that at the 1 month appointment?

If you actually had a flap problem you would probably have rushed to your doctor because you couldn't see and it hurt like the dickens. If you are without symptoms, then it is not likely that you have a trauma induced problem. An exam by your doctor will determine this for sure.

kjr39 wrote:Just to clarify, I did have DLK right after the surgery, but they took care of it with some eye drops...

You know the symptoms of DLK. If you experience these symptoms, contact your doctor immediately night or day.

The poor vision quality you describe may be related to the DLK. Ask your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kjr39 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:23 pm

So, just a quick update.

I'm 3.5 weeks from surgery and have ghosting still on the right eye. I went to the doc today and he saw two microstriae on that eye and recommends going in and pressing those out to removing the ghosting.

Anyone else have this so far out from surgery? It'll be a month out by the time I'm able to get in to have this done...

My left eye is doing great! 20/15.
kjr39

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:23 pm

You may want to read our article about striae (Lasik flap wrinkles).

Maco-striae - the large folds in the Lasik flap - tend to need treatment earlier rather than later. Micro-striae - also called Bowman's crinkles - are often allowed to resolve with healing.

It sounds like all the striae treatment will be at the edge of the flap. This is less disruptive and may not require a full flap lift. The ghosting may be directly caused by striae, or may be related to astigmatism or even edema (inflammation). With the striae resolved it will be easier to determine if there are other factors involved.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kjr39 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 pm

Yup. I had seen that article... (Your site is a Godsend, BTW!)

The striae are on the inside near the edge of the flap. Didn't know that they could do it without lifting the entire flap, so I'm hoping that it does not require it.

And, you're right. I do have edema in that eye.

I'll be sure to update in a week or so.

Thanks!
kjr39

Return to Just Had It