Eye Drops before surgery

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Eye Drops before surgery

Postby yi jiun » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi, I like to know if it's appropriate to use VIGAMOX AND OMNIPRED 1 day prior surgery?
I had inflamation 3 weeks ago and was treated, and Dr. recommend I had those drops 4 times a day prior surgery.
Doesn't OMNIPRED increse eye pressures?

From the USAEYE vedio about the Intralasik it shows they put a sponge like right around the eye ball and mark the cornea is that all necessary?

When choseing the Intralasik does the instruments requires sterilized or they use new ones for each patient?

UPDATE:
Just had it done yesterday, no complication at all. Already 20/20 left and 20/25 right this morning.
My inflamation on my right eye was very mild. so I wasn't too worry about that. I was just wonder about the eye drops.

Thanks to Toastysoul and Pappy for your concern. Everything just went very smooth.
Last edited by yi jiun on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
yi jiun

Postby Toastysoul » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:23 pm

I'm surprised that your doctor would recommend doing Lasik if you had an inflammation as recently as 3 weeks ago. When I had an inflammation in my left eye earlier this year, I was told that even if I was ready for it (which I wasn't) that it would need to be months before a good surgeon would want to operate on my eye. My inflammation lasted for a few weeks even after I started taking Pred-Forte (I think it's the same as Omni-pred). Anyhow, that was 8 months ago. I had my Lasik last Wednesday, and I was told to use the antibiotic (Vigamox) the night before and morning of the surgery. They provided me with a black satchel to carry all the different drops with me. I was also told to use the restasis prior to the surgery as soon as I had it filled. However, my wavescan wasn't setup until 2 days prior to the surgery, so I didn't have a lot of time to use the restasis prior to the operation. From my reading, restasis doesn't reach full effectiveness until after 3 months of twice-daily use.

None of this information really answers your question about the omni-pred, but TBH, if you are having doubts about your surgeons advice, at the very least, you should go have a consult with another Eye physician. If your physician/surgeon doesn't give you the confidence to trust their advice, then you should reconsider who you are having treating you.

With regards to the sponge & marking the cornea, if it were not necessary, I do not think they would do it. Even if it wasn't completely necessary, I don't think it's going to cause a problem for you unless the marker dumps ink into your eye. Apparently this happened to one of the patients that reported the "Just had it" Forum. However, I had no such issue. The sponge was not visible, nor did I feel it.

I would imagine that certain instruments like the speculum get sterilized. Replacing a stainless steel instrument like that would get pricey. The swabs they use to smooth the flap down are probably disposable from the look of them.
Toastysoul

Re: Eye Drops before surgery

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:31 pm

yi jiun wrote:Hi, I like to know if it's appropriate to use VIGAMOX AND OMNIPRED 1 day prior surgery?
I had inflamation 3 weeks ago and was treated, and Dr. recommend I had those drops 4 times a day prior surgery.
Doesn't OMNIPRED increse eye pressures?

From the USAEYE vedio about the Intralasik it shows they put a sponge like right around the eye ball and mark the cornea is that all necessary?

When choseing the Intralasik does the instruments requires sterilized or they use new ones for each patient?

Any corticoid steroid has a chance of increasing eye pressure. So it is possible, have you been using it for three weeks already and do you know what your pressure was prior and what it is now?

I know for some people prolonged used definitely runs the risk of increasing the pressure and have to go on glaucoma drops to regulate it.

That part is not as concerning as having your eye be not in proper "shape" prior to surgery, specially if you had swelling. I would check with your doc but personally? I'd postpone it a few months until everything settled back down.

You really want to give your self the best chance of success and there are enough variables for complication that going in and doing it with the deck possibly stacked against you, well I'll leave it there but I'd voice all these concerns with your doc.
Pappy

Re: Eye Drops before surgery

Postby yi jiun » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:03 am

UPDATE:
Just had it done yesterday, no complication at all. Already 20/20 left and 20/25 right this morning.
My inflamation on my right eye was very mild. so I wasn't too worry about that. I was just wonder about the eye drops.

Thanks to Toastysoul and Pappy for your concern. Everything just went very smooth.
yi jiun

Postby Pappy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:49 am

Good to hear Yi Jiun, may you have continued success.
Pappy

Return to Thinking About It