Standards for Operating Environment

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Standards for Operating Environment

Postby PatN » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:48 pm

Glenn,

This website has been extremely helpful for me and my wife in our decision making process.

At the surgon's place where I went for consultation, medical staff were freely moving in and out of the operation theater, even while a lasik procedure is in progress. The theater door itself was not too far from street exit and not well shielded from outside air. There were a few fluffy toys (like teddy bears) in the room that they give to the patients to hold during the procedre. I could also spot some dust on one of the PC like machine's. Also patients were not asked to wear any gown or even remove shoes.

I was told that there is some sort of shelding/cleaning mechanism within the lasik machine immediately surrounding the head of a patient, but I don't know how much to trust that.

Are there any standards I should be looking for in typical operating room for Lasik?

Thanks
PatN

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:57 am

A laser surgery room should be aseptic (clean), but is not required to be sterile like an operating room. Some doctors don't use masks or gloves, others are in full gown. Much depends upon the preference of the individual doctor.

Look for clean and controlled, but don't expect a hospital OR.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It