Almost 2 weeks since lasik - eyes not working well together

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Almost 2 weeks since lasik - eyes not working well together

Postby leef1977 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:14 pm

I have searched the list but can't find a post about exactly what I have, so I apologize if I'm duplicating a previous question...

I'm 30 years old, had Lasik on Oct. 16. Ever since the day of surgery, my right eye has been perfect. The left eye is perfect too, but only if I cover the right. When I look at things with both eyes, the left goes blurry. It will sharpen once I close the right.

My doctor told me this is an issue with my brain adjusting to my new vision, but it's driving me crazy. I'm an avid cyclist but afraid to ride on the road because my depth perception is off. Is this somewhat normal and will it, in fact, go away? Will it just "click" or be gradual?

Thanks for all the good info on your site.
leef1977

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:23 pm

It appears that you are dealing with Lasik eye strain related issues. The natural crystalline lens within your eye changes shape to be able to focus on near objects. This is called accommodation. Before surgery your eye was accustomed to accommodating within a certain range. That range has now changed. The eye is not accustomed to this new range of focus and it may be difficult for the lens to change to that shape. If this is a Lasik eye strain issue, it is very likely it will gradually resolve with time.

There are other possibilities as well. It may be that your left eye is not precisely corrected. If you are not plano (no refractive error), your eye may be trying to “focus around” the residual or induced refractive error. You need a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) to determine your current eye prescription. You also need a cycloplegic refraction to determine your refractive error without accommodation.

There may be binocular vision issues. This is the process of the two eyes working together. When you look at a near object you accommodate and your eyes point more toward each other (cross-eyed). This is called convergence. It is possible that you are having an accommodation and convergence problem. This can be tested by your doctor.

A couple of questions. What was your eye prescription before surgery? Do you have the focus problem when looking at the horizon, when looking at something about 10 feet away, or when reading?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby leef1977 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Thanks for your reply. Before Lasik I was -4.75 in each eye. At my last appointment (Monday of this week) my doctor said I was 20/20 in each eye. She used the machine that does an automatic prescription, and also the eye chart with me covering first one eye, then the other.

The strain is pretty much the same no matter what - although it seems to be the least when I'm driving during the day (looking at horizon), but it occurs when using the computer or reading, watching TV (about 10 feet away), etc.

Not sure if this matters but I did have a slight astigmatism in my left eye (the problem eye).
leef1977

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:45 pm

The astigmatism can cause vision quality to be poor, even doubled (ghost) vision in low light environments.

Autorefractors are good for getting a starting reading, but there is nothing that beats the manifest refraction of which is better. The patient's subjective report of quality of vision is always best.

Vision when looking at the horizon in daylight would be when the crystalline lens is at rest. It does sound like your problems relate to accommodation issues. It is reasonable to expect these to resolve within the next few weeks. In the mean time you will be doing the "Lasik Salute" of covering one eye, then the other.

Please do report back to this forum from time to time so we can learn of your progress. This will be valuable to others who have the same difficulties.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby leef1977 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:56 pm

Thanks very much. You have made me feel a lot better. Incidentally when I told my doc I was doing the "Lasik Salute" she told me not to do it, because my eyes needed to keep trying to work together. But it is good to know that my condition is common enough to earn a funny name.

Will definitely report back and let you know how it goes.
leef1977

Postby leef1977 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:56 pm

I wanted to update you and the list about what really happened to me. Hopefully this will help others.

My left eye was blurry because it was overcorrected, by quite a bit. My original prescription was -4.75 but it was corrected as if it were a -7.00. The problem was the machine that measured my eye before surgery. It gave an incorrect reading, and thus bad data was given to the laser machine.

I am having corrective surgery Friday to re-steepen my eye. It took 3 months to figure out the issue, and my doctor says this is because I'm young and can compensate fairly well. She thought that my issue was swelling and that it would go away, but after 3 months it didn't.

Essentially, the lesson is: ask your doctor to compare the reading from the refractor machine taken just before your surgery to that taken in his/her office previously. This would have saved me a lot of pain and strain!
leef1977

Postby Pappy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:02 pm

leef1977 wrote:I wanted to update you and the list about what really happened to me. Hopefully this will help others.

My left eye was blurry because it was overcorrected, by quite a bit. My original prescription was -4.75 but it was corrected as if it were a -7.00. The problem was the machine that measured my eye before surgery. It gave an incorrect reading, and thus bad data was given to the laser machine.

I am having corrective surgery Friday to re-steepen my eye. It took 3 months to figure out the issue, and my doctor says this is because I'm young and can compensate fairly well. She thought that my issue was swelling and that it would go away, but after 3 months it didn't.

Essentially, the lesson is: ask your doctor to compare the reading from the refractor machine taken just before your surgery to that taken in his/her office previously. This would have saved me a lot of pain and strain!

Did they have initial readings for your presciption, meaning your script was 4.25 per eye and then prior to surgery they had an aberant reading?

Glad you got it sort it out and good luck with your recovery.
Pappy

Postby Walt » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:25 am

What is your current refraction in your left eye? +1? +2? I am curious because I am over corrected too.
Walt

Postby AllanJacques » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:15 am

leef1977 wrote:I wanted to update you and the list about what really happened to me. Hopefully this will help others.

so, what happened after this other surgery? how are things going?
AllanJacques

Postby griffin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 pm

i would really like to know how leef is doing as well... im having the same problems because i am overcorrected....
griffin

Return to Just Had It