Post-LASEK morning clarity

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Post-LASEK morning clarity

Postby Schade805 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Hi there -
Like several people I've read about on this board, 11 days after LASEK I have one eye that sees quite well and one that is quite blurry, and it sounds like patience will be the only cure.
But, when I first wake up in the morning and look around, for the first 5 minutes or so of my day, both eyes are great, and I see clearly through both eyes. Shortly therefter, my vision from my right eye degrades and goes blurry. What is causing this? Is it a matter of the epithelium being "smoother" after a night's sleep, or better hydrated eyes (I've haven't had much trouble with dryness), or something else?
Lastly, I found a bit somewhere that I should go in a hot tub for 2 weeks post-surgery; I don't recall those instructions from my surgeon. Your input?
Thanks!
Schade805

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:49 am

So long as you do not splash your eyes with the water, the high humidity would probably do you good. I personally believe a hot tub should be a requirement for everyone at least three times a week, with or without Lasik.

Waking up with good vision and then quickly having poor vision sounds like dry eye symptoms. The next time this happens, apply a drop of preservative-free artificial tears, blink a couple of times, and see if that clarity momentarily returns. We have a detailed article about Dry Eye Treatment that may be helpful. You may want to schedule an early morning appointment with your doctor so you can be checked for dry eye problems.

Yes, with LASEK as with PRK and Epi-Lasik, patients is needed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby RobyRob » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:52 am

I am 4 weeks post-LASEK and I have EXACTLY the same problem.

When I wake up my vision is perfect, but rest of the day it is blurred, double, basically unstable. Artificial tears help, but only for a few minutes.

I was afraid something went wrong during surgery (undercorrection, decentration, HOA inducement,...) and that I will surely need enhancement but after reading this I am much more calm.
I think the main problem is that I don't FEEL that my eyes are dry.
Anyway, fantastic article Glenn!
RobyRob

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:33 am

Thank you for the kind words.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin