Overcorrection question

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Overcorrection question

Postby Midwest Man » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:23 am

I am curious as to what are the ramifications of overcorrection. Is overcorrection actually a positive thing in that your vision is corrected to better than 20/20? For instance, if your vision is 20/15 or 20/10, is that a manifestation of overcorrection? Thanks.
Midwest Man

Postby croanster » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:33 am

Hi Midwest Man – No, that’s not the case. Generally, if your eyes are slightly on the plus side you can accommodate back down to plano by bending the lens in your eye. The younger you are the easier it is to achieve this. Eventually, you lose this ability which is why we need reading glasses when we get older. People that are mildly longsighted, say +2 - +3, generally see just as well as someone that’s plano until they reach 30 – 35. It’s easy to think of it like a piece of string connected to the lens in your eye – you can pull a piece of string tighter and bend the lens one way (farsighted people) but you can’t push that piece of string to bend the lens the other way (shortsighted people).

Hope that helps a bit.
croanster

Postby overcorrectedjw » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I know firsthand the result of being overcorrected (from quite nearsighted, approximately -8.0, to slightly farsighted, approximately +1.0) while being over 40 (presbyopic). Even the slight overcorrection when combined with presbyopia makes for all-round poor vision. Nothing is quite in focus, whether close or distant. On the positive side, such overcorrections oftentimes fix themselves as your eyes tend to regress back toward the starting position. My eyes have indeed improved but aren't quite there. I'm hoping to avoid enhancement surgery to correct my farsightedness, but at this point I can only wait before making the decision.
overcorrectedjw

Return to Just Had It