Vision worse after bandage lens removal

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Vision worse after bandage lens removal

Postby bateman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:49 am

Had LASEK 7 days ago.

prescription pre-OP was -4.25 (L) -3.25 (R)

UCVA on day 1 was ~ 20/30 (L) 20/25 (R) which was very unstable though throughout the day. Experienced mild discomfort and severe dry eye but no pain during that time. On day 4 shortly before bandage lens removal I had pretty stable 20/25 in both eyes.

Right after bandage lens removal UCVA was 20/60 (L) 20/50 (R) which improved to 20/50 (L) 20/40 (R) on day 5 but remained there till today (day 7)

I know it's not uncommon to have a drop in UCVA right after bandage lense removal, that's what I've been told and that's what I read also, but almost no progress in 2 days is starting to freak me out, especially since e.g. old glasses with -1,75 don't correct anything, meaning at the moment my UCVA = BCVA.

It's not unreasonable to expect 20/30+ 1 week after LASEK, so I'm pretty down right now.

Why the sudden drop in visual acuity anyway right after bandage lense removal?
And can I expect my vision to improve at least to pre-removal values?
bateman

Postby bateman » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:29 pm

things got better in the mean time:

UCVA tonight: 20/25 (L) 20/25 (R) and 20/20 using both eyes
minor ghost images when looking at bright high contrast things (LEDs, etc) from more than 3 feet away
bateman

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:37 am

The bandage contact lens (BCL) helps smooth the outer surface of the epithelium as it regenerates. It is also possible for the epithelium to be disturbed when the BCL is removed. It is reasonable to expect continued improvement in vision quality as the epithelium thickens and smooths.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Blindbat2007 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:10 am

Your vision and mine are following similar recovery paths. I can see the best after I wake up. So right now I get about 15 minutes of good vision during the day. I savor those minutes! I also experience good vision after a nap.

Dim light and ghosting are a pain in the a--! My vision doesn't really improve after soaking them with Systane. I have the same issue as you. I'm not feeling any dry eye and these drops seem like a waste of time.

The positive side is we are on track for a full recovery with at least 20/20. I was online with somebody who had the exact same issues as you and I. He made a full recovery and says he is seeing razor sharp. It took 6 weeks for him to recover. There was another guy who was 52 that was experiencing the same vision problems post LASEK as us. It took him 3 months to recover.

We have to hang in there. By the way, I lost the bandage contact lens in my left eye less than 48 hours after the surgery. It just popped out sometime somewhere. I didn't know that it had come out although it was really painful a couple of days after the surgery. The BCLs my doctor put in had a (-) power to them. That explains why my vision tanked after the right eye BCL was removed. It is currently catching up to my left eye. My left eye is the best and thats the one that didn't have the BCL on very long. Go figure!
Blindbat2007

Postby bateman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:20 pm

hey there!

Seems like we're in the same boat. I guess we just have to sit it out then...
bateman

Postby bateman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:19 am

small update almost 4 weeks post-OP

good vision seems to last longer after getting up, but after that I still got ghosting and since yesterday I am also experiencing starbursts under extreme low light conditions (e.g. an LED in a dark room, or walking on the sidewalk at night looking down, then looking up at the lights I see starbursts for a second or so but then the pupil size goes down and the starbursts dissipate.

I really do hope these are just healing effects...
bateman

Postby Blindbat2007 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:51 pm

I'm almost 5 weeks post op- Lasek. I'm starting to see the left eye healing up. The ghosting has diminished the last couple of days. It isn't gone yet, but it has gotten better. My right eye is behind the left. Still lots of ghosting but I think it is getting better. I don't want to seem too confident at this point. I’m afraid I will jinx the healing. ;)
Blindbat2007

Postby bateman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:40 am

Small update almost 6 weeks post-OP

I'm happy to say that I'm enjoying 20/25+ almost throughout the day.
ghosting in the left eye is still present and starbursts under extreme low-light conditions as well. but these are no major hassles for me, no troubles at all working for 8 hours in front of the TFT screen.

Even at this point I can say I am in the "happiness zone" regarding the result of the procedure.
bateman

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:53 pm

It's good to hear things are finally starting to resolve as you desired. Please let us know how you are in another month.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bateman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:01 am

another update, almost 2 months post-OP

I'm enjoying an unbelievable 20/15 almost throughout the day
ghosting is hardly there anymore

the starbursts persist under extreme low light conditions, but they are no hassle for me
bateman

Postby Blindbat2007 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:49 am

Hey,
Yeah you're probably right. I might have twice the complications as I have now. It's just that everybody I talk to at work or social engagements has had enormous success with their Lasik procedures. They have no idea what I'm talking about when I say I'm still ghosting.

I'm still hanging in there. The ghosting has diminished somewhat. There are actually days that have gone by when I barely see the double images. Like I told John in WI, I see great during the day. Probably just as good as you, 20/15. I'm constantly closing one eye and checking the VA in each. I keep a journal on my progress. My right eye has really improved over the last week or so.

I just need those darn ghosts to leave me alone!

So, it sounds like your ghosting is really clearing up. True statement?
Blindbat2007

Postby bateman » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:59 am

I stopped keeping a journal on my progress. Once a week or so I check my vision on a snellen chart, depending on the quality of my tear film I can sometimes read most of the 20/13 line. My right eye is still lagging behind in terms of constant vision throughout the day, but I think it never becomes worse than 20/20. And with both eyes open I don't even notice it.

As for my ghosting: it's only present in the left eye, so using both eyes it just disappears.

I'll try to explain MY ghosting in detail here:

- on the TFT screen it's only noticeable wherever there's a white font on a black background
- it's like a little bit smeared on top of the original image
- when I turn my head but keep looking at the text, the ghosting changes/disappears completely
- in the ealry post-OP days (<1 month) I also had light ghost images of other shiny objects, but those disappeared completely

not sure if this will ever go away completely, but even now I'm so pleased with the outcome - after all this ghosting doesn't cause me headaches or the like.

let's hope for the best!
bateman

Postby Blindbat2007 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Sounds like you have the right attitude.

I have to say that I am LOL while sitting here comparing ghosting notes.
My girlfriend calls me Popeye because I am constantly closing one eye and looking through the other checking to see how much detail I can see on an object. I guess I'd laugh too if I had to watch somebody do that.

She also laughs when I peer through a tiny hole to see how my vision compares with and without the hole. I have watched movies while looking through tiny holes.

It's been an interesting little ride these past 2.5 months. I'm happy with my vision about 90% of the time. The 10% I dislike occurs on the way home in the evening.

Where are you from?
Blindbat2007

Postby bateman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 am

I'm from Europe.

Vienna, AUSTRIA, to be exact. :) Added that to my profile.

Tonight I noticed something interesting which gives me hope that even the starbursts issue will resolve.

I woke up in the middle of the night, got up to get some water to drink and while looking at the stand-by LED from my DVD player I didn't notice any starbursts at all! After getting up in the morning they returned after some time, but maybe it's just the last 5% healing that needs to be done or so... :)
bateman

Return to Just Had It