Hated monovision from Lasik- correction with PRK

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Hated monovision from Lasik- correction with PRK

Postby WeepingWest » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 pm

I had LASIK on 07/13/2007. Doc talked me into Monovision. I have hated this from day one due to the vision blending and seeing blurriness because of the undercorrected eye. Doc told me I had to wait 7 months for them to attempt the LASIK again for the undercorrected eye. Well I waited patiently and when I was in the chair after he poked me for a few minutes he stated they could not lift the flap and I should be glad he didnt attempt more due to a possibility of a tear. I guess I am glad ???? He says I heal well. Now he advises me we need to do PRK if I really want the eye corrected same as the other, which I do because who wants to have the whole thing done just to see blurry anyway. My concern is what to expect this time. I have heard its painful but the doc isnt too much on advising what to expect and what complications I need to look out for. I am sure he doesnt want to talk about things that MAY occur but I think I should know. Especially since I didnt know about the possibility of the flap not coming up.
ANY HELP OUT THERE ? Thanks Amy
WeepingWest

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:41 pm

PRK's main complication is hazing of the cornea (which is a bigger risk after Lasik). The use of mitocycin-c has greatly diminished this as well as being put on a lengthy steroid course. It has lots of other issues you might want to research on. Retreatment carries a higher risk than original surgeries (I read some article where instances of complications are 3x greater on retreatments. Now 3x of a small amount it's still a small amount but it is a greater risk).

PRK can be painful for the first week. This level of pain will vary from person to person.

You will most likely have "subpar" vision for the first 2 weeks but it might take up to 8 weeks (or even longer) before you see "well". Each person is different and healing rates are impossible to predict. Unlike Lasik, PRK is not a short recovery process but if you do decide to do it it's at least only on one eye.

Good luck!
Pappy

Return to Had It A While Ago