LASIK for hyperopia - 3 month check up

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

LASIK for hyperopia - 3 month check up

Postby dstepp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:25 am

So I had my 90 day check up for my LASIK for hyperopia. If I remember my numbers correctly, I was about +4 with a liitle astigmatism. I had slow steady progress until about 4-6 weeks post-LASIK, when collagen plugs installed pre-op dissolved and I was hit with serious dry eye. It seems like I lost a lot of ground in those two weeks but am now on Restasis with permamnent plugs.

At the 90 day appt, they decided I was a bit over-corrected. The refraction put me at -75 in one eye and -1 in the other. I picked out some lens for driving glasses in my old frames (they are still comfy) and will continue with aggressive treatment of dry eye.

The decision now is on the "enhancement". They generally like to do it within a year and I agreed for a new check at the one year mark. I am leery of it as, at the moment, I am OK without glasses except when I am driving. I am semi-optimistic that as the dry eye improves (the weaker eye has a recurring dry spot right on the cornea) that I will be able to abandon the glasses. With real wet eyes, my vision is excellent. It's jsut holding it there.

Any thoughts on "enhancements" from the formerly farsighted crowd?

D.
dstepp

Postby Walt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 am

I am curious what your quality of vision is at this point? Do you need glasses for reading, viewing TV, etc...? At what point do you need to use your glasses. If it is only for driving, then you might just want to keep your eyes the way they are.

I am 49 and I went from -2.5 in both eyes to +1 and +1.25 which caused me to have poor vision at all distances. You said previously "I can read 2 point font, it's like some useless superpower" I would love to have my superpower back. I loved not needing to juggle glasses while reading labels or a good book.

I will be having a retreatment in 2 to 4 weeks and if I ended up just needing glasses to comfortably drive and ditching them for the rest that would be ideal.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Walt

Postby dstepp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:45 pm

I was the say the quality of my vision is mixed. 8-10 feet is fairly crisp. 10-20 feet has shadowing/ghosting of letters at the 20/30 range of vision and blurring of faces. With really wet eyes, I see 20/20 easily at distance, indicating that either my dry eyes are a recurring problem with my vision or that a very thin layer of refraction is needed. Hence, my plan is to wear the light frames for driving and such and see if dry eyes improve and my vision accordingly. ANother optin is that I would regress another 0.5D which would be close to plano on the near side. I gather LASIK works best for big problems, not small ones and correction of -1D could easily land me +1 D and let me see nothing.

D.
dstepp

Re: LASIK for hyperopia - 3 month check up

Postby LindaT » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 pm

dstepp wrote:So I had my 90 day check up for my LASIK for hyperopia. If I remember my numbers correctly, I was about +4 with a liitle astigmatism. I had slow steady progress until about 4-6 weeks post-LASIK, when collagen plugs installed pre-op dissolved and I was hit with serious dry eye. It seems like I lost a lot of ground in those two weeks but am now on Restasis with permamnent plugs.

At the 90 day appt, they decided I was a bit over-corrected. The refraction put me at -75 in one eye and -1 in the other. I picked out some lens for driving glasses in my old frames (they are still comfy) and will continue with aggressive treatment of dry eye.

The decision now is on the "enhancement". They generally like to do it within a year and I agreed for a new check at the one year mark. I am leery of it as, at the moment, I am OK without glasses except when I am driving. I am semi-optimistic that as the dry eye improves (the weaker eye has a recurring dry spot right on the cornea) that I will be able to abandon the glasses. With real wet eyes, my vision is excellent. It's jsut holding it there.

Any thoughts on "enhancements" from the formerly farsighted crowd?

D.

Do you mind if I ask your age? Is presbyopia indicated?
LindaT

Postby dstepp » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:02 am

Do you mind if I ask your age? Is presbyopia indicated?

Well my Driver's license says 42 but I am dubious of that. If you search my profile/post (less than a dozen posts) you can read my original circumstances.

D.
dstepp

More regression probably on the way

Postby Mack » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:17 pm

At only 90 days and coming from +4 with astig, your healing process is probably about 75 to 80% complete. I would predict at six months, your -1 will regress further towards plano, but you may also experience increaseed astigmatism. I went from OS +5.25 sph -1.5 cyl and OD +3.75 sph -1.75 cyl prelasik to about plano sph and -1 cyl at 90 days, but the script was still not stable month to month until much later. I had the enhancement at 6 months to correct only the -1 cylinder. But regression continued slowly for another year or so and finally after about 2 years I ended up with +1.25 sph and -1.25 cyl in both eyes. Now with "20/20 hindsight" I should have waited longer for the one final enhancement. CK got me down to +0.5 sph and -0.5 cyl and that's decent 20/20 uncorrected vision, but not the razor sharp 20/15 I had pre-lasik with correction. If I were you, I would wait longer to enhance. At least one year seems reasonable for higher hyperopes like us. Good luck.
Mack

Postby lex » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:44 pm

dsteep, Mack,
if you receive a notification from this post,please login and comment my hyperopic lasik.
It has been 3 months from my lasik and i would like to compare it to your experiences, i have presbiopia, some sort of dry eye and wonder if regression is already over or should i expect more?
Just would like to get some info from those who had it.
lex
lex

Postby Mack » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 am

Lex,
What was your original script? Anything higher than +3 should wait at least a year for an enhancement. The higher the hyperopia, the longer you should wait. Nature takes her sweet time with regression. If you had any astigmatism, that's the wild card that makes your final fully stabilized refraction difficult to achieve a perfect plano without cylinder.

Mack
Mack

Postby lex » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Thank you Mack,
My last refraction showed nothing improves my vision, at 60 days pos op a +0.50 on the RE got a bit of improvement, at 78 days nothing improves the vision.
3 month now, some sort of dry eye and when i wakeup i notice a bit of swollen MG, i do a 1 min compress warm and it gets normal, do not feel the eyelids ache.
good luck you and good luck to me.
lex
lex

Return to Just Had It