Had it yesterday - 2/15/08

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had it yesterday - 2/15/08

Postby AJMick » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:35 pm

I had Custom IntraLase yesterday afternoon and am absolutely amazed by the results! My eyeglass Rx was -8.5 left, -9 right, with -1.75 astigmatism in each eye. So, my vision was pretty bad. This morning, I drove myself to my post-op and my vision was L 20/20, right 20/25, and they tell me it will continue to improve. I still have the slightest/teeniest bit of haze which should clear up as corneal swelling continues to decrease. Yes, my eyes are bloodshot and red where the suction was placed around he iris. But those are small matters considering that for the first time since 4th grade (I am now 36) I am able to see without any assistance.

A couple things about the procedure... it is a little freaky/strange and I am very Type A and like to be in control. They said I could have up to 2 valium but I only went with one since I had never taken valium before and I generally don't take any sort of drug (Rx or otherwise) so I wasn't sure how my body would react. If I had it to do over, I would've taken two valium. :) But it really wasn't that bad. Also, when they were sculpting my eye I honestly couldn't tell if I had my eye open or closed :) but obviously they had it propped open. I just really focused on staying focused on the red dot, took a deep breath, and rolled with it. Oh, and if you go through with it, be prepared to breath through your mouth and not your nose because the stench during the procedure is rather awful (think teeth drilling x 10).

I was very skeptical going into this but I still wanted to move forward and see what would happen thinking that at the very least I could improve my Rx so that I would't need such heavy glasses. But by last night, after a couple naps, my vision was really getting much better. I was pretty hazy immediately after surgery but my docs (yes, my vision center had me screened by more than one) both told me that with such a high correction it would probably take longer for me to see clearly. This morning waking up and seeing the clock was amazing. Actually, I woke up in the middle of the night and looked down the hall from our bedroom and it was so comforting to feel the security of being able to see clearly without my glasses.

I am so unbelievably amazed by the results - I want to tell everyone about it. This isn't something I jumped into... I did a ton of research, read the success stories and the horror stories but I still took the chance and as far as I can tell it's the best money I've ever spent.
AJMick

Postby bathory313 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:40 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

My vision was pretty much the same as yours was; I had traditional Lasik 8 months ago. I am happy with the results, as you are.

Be prepared, though--you may go through ups and downs with this as you heal. Don't get aggravated and you can usually (always!) find an answer here in this forum. This board was a godsend to me in the first three months as I continually freaked out over dry eye and fluctuating vision. I learned that what I was experiencing was pretty much par for the course, and the answers I found here helped me to relax about things.

Isn't it great to SEE?
bathory313

Postby AJMick » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:56 am

It is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING to be able to see without assistance! And I really felt the need to post my experience since there are so few high myopia stories out there. :) Yes, it can work - I am living proof. So far, I have limited dryness but I recognize that things might change over the next 6 months but I will roll with it. After heavy glasses and special-order contact lenses this is cake!
AJMick

Return to Just Had It