headaches still

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

headaches still

Postby lboogie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:12 pm

I'm still having headaches, almost 3 months after lasik. With no dilation I am plano on both. With dilation I am +.7 on both eyes. I am 29 years old.

My vision is great. My eyes are very, very dry. I start restasis today, and am doing all the other dry eye treatments. No plugs yet though-- doc. wants to try some other things.

The headaches are NOT spurred by close work, b/c I find myself getting them intermittently all day long. And as I've mentioned before -- in the car, while joggin, pretty much anything.

I've been wearing +.75 readers for work at the computer. But I don't need them to see.

My surgeon never seems to address the headaches. I suggested to him that I might have a convergence/ accomodation issue -- he conceeded that might be the case and has referred me back to optemetrist at the university who does his pre-op work (she is very skilled and works exclusively with this surgeon who is the head of refractive surgery).

Could this slight overcorrection that is only evident with dilation be causing my headaches? I'm so confused. OR is it the dry eye? I'm so confused and scared.
lboogie

Wow

Postby Definitely Irritated » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:39 am

It's funny.. my surgeon said he had never experienced a patient having post-op headaches like I have been having (they were REALLY bad for awhile).

Nice to know someone else is having them.. not that I wish this inconvenience and life-interrupting pain/irritation on anyone.
Definitely Irritated

Postby lboogie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:04 am

how are your headaches now? how long ago was your surgery?
lboogie

more headache talk

Postby Definitely Irritated » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:27 am

They've gotten a bit better. It's gotten so that when I notice a headache coming on, I drug myself immediately even though I absolutely hate the concept of being drugged.... I now know that it's better to be "drugged" than suffer the consequences of my principles at a later time after the full effect of the headache kicks in.

I should also say that I had a history of migraines prior to the surgery, but I hadn't had a bad headache or migraine in a very long time. They seem to go dormant and then come back depending on triggers.

My surgeon was of little help during this headache process. He essentially said that my PCP should deal with this situation because he hadn't heard of lasik ever causing headaches. I tried explaining that I thought the poor vision was throwing off my head, making my eyes/brain work harder and therefore triggering them (in my un-medically trained experience). He was like "hmmm"... at one point he did put me on an Ibuprofen regimen (400mg 3x/day) as a way to try and be preventative because I was taking so many Migraine drugs (which are hardcore).

I guess we'll see how things go after my enhancement.. I have another appointment on Wednesday to determine if my #s are stable enough to have the enhancement.
Definitely Irritated

Postby Definitely Irritated » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:27 am

Also - my surgery was at the end of October.
Definitely Irritated

Postby maggie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:52 pm

how are your headaches now. I had lasik in September and have suffered headaches ever since, my surgeon was also of very little help to me also saying that he had never heard of lasik causing headaches.
maggie

Postby Definitely Irritated » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:03 pm

How were your results? Vision good?

If not, to me it's pretty much common sense.... you can't see, so you're straining your eyes/head trying to compensate... = headaches.

Anyway, I'm relatively in control of my situation now I guess. I have the enhancement surgery in April.. right eye first since it's worst, then eventually the left eye.
Definitely Irritated

Postby cannotthinkofaname » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:31 am

I have had a dull headache for 15 years. Not to scare you, but after my RK in 1993 I could never see clearly. The initial problem was my eye was not correctable to 20/20 - no glasses could correct it. I've learned to live with a headache, I know it is because of eye strain. I hope your problem is temporary and can be corrected in April. I will cross my fingers for you.
cannotthinkofaname

Postby lboogie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:49 pm

My minor overcorrection has regressed and is only detectable under dialation...it's at +.23 in both eyes. My focusing spams are getting better -- turns out that I have a pretty pronounced convergence insufficency.....must have gotten worse with the new vision.

That might be causing my headaches.......I'm going to do vision therapy to try and get it better.

Eyes are still pretty dry. Headaches are better but still there off and on.

Uggghh, it surely is a long haul for some people - like me.
lboogie

Return to Had It A While Ago