Monovision pros and cons

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Monovision pros and cons

Postby janeb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 pm

I am planning on having PRK but cannot decide whether to do monovision or not. I am 43, my glasses prescription is OD -4.50, -75, 10 and OS -4.50, -75, 155 and my dominant eye is my right eye. I did a trial contact monovision test, with my left eye wearing a contact of 3.75. I did fine, although I realize this was not a significant diopter difference between eyes. My concerns are these: how long does the undercorrection really help the future presbyopia (i.e. will I soon be in reading glasses anyway?). Also, I am very active in the outdoors and don't want to lose much distance crispness. On the flip side, I spend a lot of time on the computer, I love to read, and I'm a lawyer so I spend a lot of time reviewing documents. I've heard that monovision can be too much of a compromise, not performing well for either near or distance vision, especially when one lives in both extremes as I do (outdoor person AND lawyer nerd). For example, if my near vision eye becomes tired doing all the reading-type detail work by itself, am I going to end up supplementing with something ("reading" contact lens) for my distance eye so it can share the burden? I have read the articles on presbyopia and monovision, but I am still up in the air.
janeb

Postby lvziggy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:32 pm

Jane, I had both eyes corrected for distance and, at least for me, that was absolutely the right choice. Like you, I am very active outdoors and I wanted crisp distance vision, more so than I was concerned about my close up vision. As it turned out I was lucky that my close-up vision is not too bad. I can read without glasses at all, but if I am at work using the computer (I'm a paralegal so I spend a lot of time reviewing documents too), or reading the newspaper I use +1.25 reading glasses just to avoid eye strain. I'm 47 so I'm definitely at the age where presbyopia would be a problem if it was going to at all for me.

If you don't mind the idea of using reading glasses I would think you would prefer the nice, clear distance vision during your outdoor activities.

Also, a lady I work with had the monovision done and she was very unhappy with her vision. She had it corrected after about 8 months so that she had just a little bit of monovision but could see better at a distance. She's much happier now.

That's another thing to think about. If you get monovision at first and don't like it, you can always have the undercorrected eye fixed for distance. If you get both eyes corrected for distance, that's it. There's no going back.

Hope that helps!

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby janeb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:52 am

Thanks for your input. I called my doctor today to discuss some of these issues, and she told me that yes, monovision only delays the inevitable (i.e. need for reading glasses), but that it would still help with computer or mid-distance work for many years. She thinks that the proposed .75 difference between my corrected monovision eyes would not lead to problems such has depth perception issues, etc. You made a good point about trying it, and then if I don't like it, having the enhancement to full correction. Of course, I am not looking forward to one PRK recovery period, much less a possible second surgery!
janeb

Postby Pappy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:00 am

janeb wrote:Thanks for your input. I called my doctor today to discuss some of these issues, and she told me that yes, monovision only delays the inevitable (i.e. need for reading glasses), but that it would still help with computer or mid-distance work for many years. She thinks that the proposed .75 difference between my corrected monovision eyes would not lead to problems such has depth perception issues, etc. You made a good point about trying it, and then if I don't like it, having the enhancement to full correction. Of course, I am not looking forward to one PRK recovery period, much less a possible second surgery!

I would highly recommend trying it with contacts for a few weeks. Some times your brain doesn't want to play nice, better to know before hand.

Good luck!
Pappy

Return to Thinking About It