Ghosting question for those who have had this problem

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Ghosting question for those who have had this problem

Postby John_in_WI » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:58 pm

I am not yet three months post-op, but I am anxious for information on the only problem I have with the LASEK surgery I had on 1/16/08. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who experienced ghosting problems in their recovery.

I have never had any of the other complications described in these message postings. No pain, halos, glare, starbursts, or arcs. Only multiple ghost images. They started right away after the surgery, at least a dozen mostly faint images in a fan shape above the clear 20/40 image post-surgery. At about the three week mark, the ghosts began to move to an oval shape, now a circle shape, around the clear image. The ghosts are now becoming a bit more sharp and clear. The result of this movement to surround the center of my vision made my vision worse, since everything is now clouded by the ghosts, versus just things above the clear image at the start. I had 20/500 vision pre-op, with mild astigmatism.

There are subtle changes happening almost daily in the ghost images, but I don't know if that means healing is taking place, or that things are simply changing with no "end-game". My doctor is away on a medical mission for another week, so I haven't been able to discuss it with him for a month. In any case, I would like to hear the experiences of others who have had this problem. Specifically, how did things change over time. Did the ghosts eventually fade away? Did they gradually blend together into one image? Do they spread out and fade out? So many say that the ghosting almost always clears up (or starts to) by about three months, but some have horror stories where it never goes away. Anyone that can give me some benchmarks by which to measure my progress, or lack of it, please fill me in.

To those who have responded to my other string under "Just had it", thank you and I will keep my progress posted there.
John_in_WI

Postby noodles » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:28 pm

I had/have ghosting in 1 eye. My doctor says that it is a combination of dry eyes and stubborn/type A eyes learning to focus. At the beginning, I didn't see miltiple ghosts, just 2 of everything. Over time, that went from two full images, to a blended image, to an imager right now, that is almost whole about 1/4 of it is still ghosted. I am 11 months out, and it has been a very, very gradual process. I went on Restasis at month 8 and have noticed an improvement as my eyes have become less dry. Also, the ghosting is much less prominent now when looking out of both eyes, vs. covering one and looking out the eye that has the ghosting. It remains at its worst on green traffic lights and words on signs like speed limits, etc. My doctor still thinks that over time this will continue to lessen and go away as my eyes learn to focus and work together. This process varies by individual and can take a long time if you are a lucky type A. Hope that helps.
noodles

Postby lscha » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:14 pm

I think it's too soon to worry. I had mine done 1/10 and my ghosting varies from day to day and sometimes hour to hour. I did alot of research on my surgeon and have complete faith in him. He addressed my fears about ghosting this way: "I corrected your eyes to be where you want them in six months. Your brain is still fighting the correction. Keep using your wetting drops. The ghosting will go away." When I asked what we would do if the ghosting was permanant he said "If you have permenant ghosting, you will be the first to have this problem with the machine I use." Since he has been using this machine on several hundred patients, I figure I'm going to be just fine. And anyway, I've never been first in anything! :-) There are so many great things about my vision now that I didn't have before, the ghosting is a minor inconvenience to me right now. Sometimes when I'm driving I'll blink more than I think I need to and things get clearer. I found that my eyes will be dry when I don't know they are dry. Goood Luuck to you!
lscha

Return to Had It A While Ago