Before second eye - what to do about vision in the meantime

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Before second eye - what to do about vision in the meantime

Postby catnmus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm not supposed to wear my contact for 72 hours before my Epi-Lasik surgery, according to the doctor. Before I had the first eye done, I was REALLY worried, and I left them out for a whole week. Now I go in 2 weeks to have my right eye done, and I find out that I won't be able to wear glasses, because of the difference in my two eyes' prescriptions. Currently my left eye is at about -0.50 (with some astigmatism) and my right eye is at -7.75.

So my question is, what should I do about it? I don't plan on driving at all, but I do work on a computer all day. Here are some options:
1. Use just the unfixed eye, with glasses, since that would be 20/20.
2. Use just the fixed eye, without glasses, though it won't be 20/20.
3. Use just the fixed eye, but with a contact lens to get it closer to 20/20 (even with the astigmatism). But it's only been 6 weeks since I had that eye done, so I don't know if this would be wise or not.
4. (Don't know if this has ever been considered before) Wear a PLUS 8.0 contact in my "good" eye, to make it equally as bad as the unfixed eye, and ALSO my old glasses, which would make combined vision good again.
5. Just have the contact out for 72 hours beforehand. That would include only one workday instead of five.

Any suggestions? Anyone else been in this boat already? What did you do?
catnmus

Postby lvziggy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:14 pm

Cat, I went thru what you are talking about. I had PRK done in one eye, then 2 weeks later the other eye. My surgeon put an extended wear lens in my uncorrected eye after my first surgery, but that had to come out 3 days before my second surgery. Let me tell you those 3 days were challenging! I tried taking the lens out of my glasses for my corrected eye, but that was like looking thru a fun-house mirror! The worst part was trying to drive, but you said you don't have to drive so that's very good. What I ended up doing was putting an eye patch on my corrected eye (since I still couldn't see out of it very well at that point), and then using my glasses so that my uncorrected eye could see. Yes, I looked very weird and my co-workers made fun of me by giving me a fake parrot to wear on my shoulder, but it got me thru the 3 days. Basically I was just using one eye so my depth perception was all screwed up, but that was the best I could come up with. Thankfully I didn't have to do that for more than 3 days!

I guess I did what you suggest under your #1. Hope that helps.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby Walt » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:44 pm

How about using your glasses to correct the unfixed eye and take the lens out of the side that has already been "fixed"?
Walt

second eye vision

Postby catnmus » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:14 am

Walt, I found out (after I had the first eye done) that when you have two eyes that are wildly different in prescription, like mine are now, glasses just won't work. Each eye is clear individually, but together, they do NOT give you binocular vision! It is called anisometropia, and with glasses, each eye is corrected but at different magnifications. So things are just ever so slightly different sizes. They'll never jibe together. I have tried it, and it's true - it just doesn't work. My eye doc says that that is why some people have "medically necessary contact lenses" that insurance will pay for. So, glasses are out.

PS, Alison, thanks for your input. Did you try it without the eye patch, too, or was that just too distracting?
catnmus

Postby lvziggy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:08 pm

Walt, I tried what you suggested and like Cat said, it doesn't work. It was like looking thru a fun-house mirror.

Cat, I did try without the patch, but since it hadn't really even been 2 weeks since my first eye was operated on I couldn't really see too well out of it. I guess it was distracting to just try to look thru both eyes. Nothing would come into focus. So, with the corrected but still not-so-good eye and my uncorrected eye (my vision before surgery was -6.5 and -7, so it was pretty bad!) I really couldn't see very well at all, certainly not well enough to drive. Hence, the eye patch so that I could at least focus thru my glasses with the uncorrected eye. At work if I just had to read a document I'd take off the eye patch and use a magnifying glass. Like I said, it was challenging! I was never so happy to see 3 days go by so fast!

~Alison
lvziggy

Just one eye, no patch

Postby catnmus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:29 pm

It's been about 8 weeks since I had the first eye done. I delayed my second eye because healing in the first seemed slower than I would like. Now, I think my vision in that eye is pretty close to 20/20, though maybe with a slight astigmatism. It's funny though, the astigmatism annoyed me greatly when I compared it to how clear and sharp my unlasered, contact eye was. But now that I've taken the contact out, I see that this eye might not be perfect, but it's still perfectly acceptable. Yay, me!

I tried to wear an eye patch but found it way too distracting. The covered eye got sort of a "grayed out" feeling, like when you stare at one of those magic eye pictures. The fuzzy grayness overlapped the other eye's vision, making it impossible to actually SEE. So, I'm just going without. I work with computers, and it's actually working out pretty well. When it gets annoying and starts to frustrate me, I just close the bad eye for a few minutes and bask in the clear sight.
catnmus

Postby lvziggy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Cat, I know what you mean about the "graying-out" of your vision. I had that too, but I guess I finally adjusted to it or it just went away after awhile. If I could have seen better out of my corrected eye I wouldn't have bothered with it, but since I was very impatient to get my second eye done (I only waited 2 weeks), my first eye was only at about 20/50 by the time I was ready to get my second eye done. You're being much smarter about the timing by waiting until your first eye is healed and you can see out of it before you get your second eye done.

~Alison
lvziggy

Return to Just Had It