3 mos 2 wks post-op, need enhancement... and your guidance

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

3 mos 2 wks post-op, need enhancement... and your guidance

Postby Definitely Irritated » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:30 pm

I had the surface procedure done approximately 3 months and 2 weeks ago. I was told to expect 4-6 weeks before seeing my results, compared to the much lesser time for "regular" Lasik. I was fine with this. I don't remember my starting prescriptions, but I seem to remember them saying something like 9 in both eyes when you factor in the astigmatism.

Prescribed (and still taking) 2000mg Vitamin C per day, also taking a Multivitamin. Prednisone and Lyrica a few days before and after, Zymar for awhile (can't remember exactly how long), Pred Forte while the contacts were in, then Lotemax for like a month and a half once the contacts were out. Initially used Refresh Tears, then switched to Optive (in the bottle, with preservatives). Eventually started Restasis (after I requested it from google results). Still using Restasis.

For the last month I'd been doing warm washcloths before bed, as well, because I was told I had a few plugged tear ducts in my left eye. I tried a bottle of Fish Oil pills, didn't help much though it did make my skin softer for awhile. I just picked up a bottle of Flax Oil today to try that instead.

I'd been seen numerous times over the last few months and each time complained that one eye seemed better than the other, that I just didn't think things were right. My left eye seemed okay, right eye not so good. My right eye also suddenly twitches at random (not so often lately, but still happens). They said I had a lot of prescription to correct and
everyone heals differently so it's probably just healing and dry eye.. hang in there.. my eyes look healthy, no haze...

I've pretty much been a mess for months. The vision problems cause not only frustration and make me irritable and hard to function, but they lead to headaches which turn into migraines.

I went in a few days ago and basically was like "it's time we address this problem". They dilated me, took my #s, and set an appointment to come back in 2 weeks to repeat the same. If my vision is consistent and my scans are consistent as well, then we'll do an enhancement soon on the right eye (the same surface procedure).

This, of course, means the same regimen of a very expensive brand-name pre/post-op drug cocktail - out of my own pocket now (I recently lost insurance). And it means more recovery time ("starting over" in my right eye).

I had a friend do surface Lasik on the east coast 2 weeks after I did and his drug list was *completely* different. I guess different doctors have their own methods. From a financial point of view, maybe I can explain my situation and ask for generic alternatives this time? I do have some leftover drops in the cabinet somewhere, but not sure if they're even good at this point.

Do you have recommendations to make sure I get the best possible outcome, with the quickest recovery and get my final happy resolution? Any supplements, drugs, drops, mental doings etc?

I'd hate to walk away from this Lasik endeavour as bitter as I am right now. I'd like to be someone who could recommend it to family and friends. I just want to be able to see. And see as I was promised in my initial consultation. I want my $4,000 worth of great vision. Because right now I wish I would have stuck with the pain of contacts and glasses.
Definitely Irritated

Postby Definitely Irritated » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:37 am

I see over 100 have viewed this topic and no one has replied. Bah. Thanks for the help. :*(
Definitely Irritated

Postby Pappy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:19 am

Howdy,

Didn't see this post. I can only offer one word of advice through all my reading. Before talking about any corrective surgery go through some steps with them.

They should be able to fit you with contacts which correct your vision and / or the 1 /2 test. If they cannot I'd be wary of what another procedure will do for your eyesite.

I recommend you do a google on dryeye zone and those people will be able to tell you more about the dry eye issue.

Best of luck!
Pappy

Postby Definitely Irritated » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:29 am

Hm.. a contact.. that's an interesting idea that I strangely hadn't thought of. I think I'll bring it up at the next appointment.

Thank you.

Did you have surface? What was your drug/vitamin regimen pre/post op?
Definitely Irritated

Postby Pappy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:53 am

Definitely Irritated wrote:Hm.. a contact.. that's an interesting idea that I strangely hadn't thought of. I think I'll bring it up at the next appointment.

Thank you.

Did you have surface? What was your drug/vitamin regimen pre/post op?

Yep had PRK about 5 weeks ago.

I was on flarex (steroid) 4x per day for 2 weeks and now down to 2x per day.

Had Zygamox(antibiotic) 4x per day for 5 days (and on my right eye which is was irritated and healing slower) for 11 days. Overkill but wanted to make sure no infection.

Also did Acular(anti inflamitory) 3x per day for 5 days.

I take 1000mg Vit-C.

Refreshing drops every 30 minutes for the first 2 weeks, now as needed. I put them in about one per hour but don't really need them. Your eyes are still dry though and you don't know it so I do it any way.

From my research if you need to do surgery again. You should wait a year. You don't want to basically something bad worse. RGP fittings if it's something chronic. I know it sucks but it's better than nothing.

This is just my opinion. I know the headaches can suck I get one now and then but less now as my eyes learn to see together (convergence) it seems my focal points have changed but are coming back to normal now.
Pappy

Postby rosie » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 pm

You need to be careful making up your mind about enhancements the lasers are not as reliable as one might think. My husband when in for an enhancement and came out worse than we went it. Check out the FDA website and laser my eye. com with out the spaces. When I typed it in before it kicked it out. Hope your eyes get better.
rosie

Postby tootsieroll » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:32 am

I am sort of in the same boat. I had PRK almost 3 months ago and my left eye is still lagging behind. My right eye is pretty good when I look around with only that eye but when I add my left eye to the equation it throws everything off. I have mild ghosting and its such a pain that its not going away. I might not be making it any better by forgetting my wetting drops..sometimes I'll be so into something that I will forget to lubricate five hours later =( I'm trying to be patient and knowing that I'm not alone makes it a bit more bearable.
tootsieroll

The verdict

Postby Definitely Irritated » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:18 pm

I need enhancements on both eyes.

They're going to do the right one first since it's the worst - about 20/50. The left is almost 20/20 but they feel it could be a little better.

As for the drugs, they ended up giving me samples on everything they could.. and they wrote the Prednisone for generic instead of their normal REQUIRED brand version. So the only thing I'll have to "suck it up" on is the Lyrica.

My surgery is scheduled for a week from now.. but sadly I may have to postpone it because I'm standing up in a wedding at the beginning of April and also moving before the end of this month. Not sure I'm up to handle all these major things at once.

Boy wouldn't it have been nice if their initial 4-6 week point was truly the end point for me instead of this.

I'll keep you updated.
Definitely Irritated

Return to Had It A While Ago