LASEK - what is everynes experience?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

LASEK - what is everynes experience?

Postby micksom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:15 am

Dear all,

As I have just had LASEK surgery I am curious to find different peoples experience for how long it took them until they noticed improvement in both their long and short vision.

Im at the 6 day period now and I havent noticed any real difference in vision compared to day 1. My long and short distance vision is still blurry.

How long did it take everyone for their vision to improve to the level it is now?
micksom

Re: LASEK - what is everynes experience?

Postby Pappy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:35 pm

micksom wrote:Dear all,

As I have just had LASEK surgery I am curious to find different peoples experience for how long it took them until they noticed improvement in both their long and short vision.

Im at the 6 day period now and I havent noticed any real difference in vision compared to day 1. My long and short distance vision is still blurry.

How long did it take everyone for their vision to improve to the level it is now?

For me it was about 3 weeks before I felt I had turned the corner from blurry sucky vision to functional vision (subjective here).
Pappy

About 4-5 weeks to good vision.

Postby catnmus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:46 am

I am having Epi-Lasik (another kind of surface procedure). I had one eye done on 1/08, and had the second eye scheduled for 2/12. But after about 2 weeks of noticeable improvement every couple of days, it seemed my vision was plateau-ing, and I was afraid it wouldn't get any better. Co-management eye doc said it was normal, and would probably start improving again. But I knew I would be completely dependent on this one eye while the OTHER one was done, so I delayed my second eye until I was comfortable with the vision out of this one. It turned out the docs were right, it DID start improving again (might have been the Vitamin C I resumed taking!), and at about 5 weeks (when my 2nd eye was originally scheduled) it probably would have been fine. But, I do feel more comfortable having waited. I have my second eye scheduled for this Tuesday.
catnmus

Eye Drops

Postby micksom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Thankyou for the replies.

Today I have had no further improvement in my vision. However, one thing that I have notied is that when I take my eye drops, temporarily when I blink my vision improves dramatically, and then after a few seconds deteriorates again.

Why would my vision improve after the eye drops? Is the vision that I have with the eye drops the vision I can expect to achieve once my eye heals?
micksom

Re: Eye Drops

Postby Pappy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:22 pm

micksom wrote:Thankyou for the replies.

Today I have had no further improvement in my vision. However, one thing that I have notied is that when I take my eye drops, temporarily when I blink my vision improves dramatically, and then after a few seconds deteriorates again.

Why would my vision improve after the eye drops? Is the vision that I have with the eye drops the vision I can expect to achieve once my eye heals?

Your epithelium is bumpy and uneven. So the artificial tears are basically making up for this and evening how light passes through.

Your eyes are also dry (even if they don't feel it, they are). So the drops are serving a multi purpose effect. I think I've read 10s of PRK recovery stories (and experienced it my self) you are about 9 days post surgery now? Expect incremental changes over the next 2 weeks where you'll start thinking "hey I can see pretty well".

Good luck and good healing!
Pappy

Postby lvziggy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:19 pm

That's the thing I remember about healing after having PRK. I never really noticed any big improvements from day to day. Each day I would look at the digital clock next to the TV to see if there was any improvement. It was so gradual I never really noticed much change from day to day, but by about the 4th week I realized I could see the numbers on the clock without much effort at all. Then it was "Hallelujah! I can see!"

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby micksom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Thankyou again for the replies.

Is having an uneven and bumpy epithelial something that is permanent, or will this smooth out over time and become perfect. Is there anything to be worried about in such a case?

Is there anything I could have done to prevent my eyes healing in such a way??
micksom

Postby Pappy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:17 am

micksom wrote:Thankyou again for the replies.

Is having an uneven and bumpy epithelial something that is permanent, or will this smooth out over time and become perfect. Is there anything to be worried about in such a case?

Is there anything I could have done to prevent my eyes healing in such a way??

Not much, we all heal differently but time is your friend here. You just need to wait it out. AT the 8 week mark (and some people it's thee 3 point mark) you should get decent baseline as to how you will see.

hang tough and patience is your friend, I don't think there is anything besides wetting drops that can be done to assist the outcome. It just takes time.
Pappy

Return to Just Had It