Lasik 2 wks & some Suggestions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik 2 wks & some Suggestions

Postby littlebig » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:32 pm

I read a lot of posts online and found that for most cases, people are either pretty disappointed with all kinds of problems, or sometimes, extremely happy after the Lasik surgery. So I thought my experience may be helpful to some people.

I had my Intralase CustomVue two weeks ago. I didn’t experience the 20-minute miracle, as some people are lucky to have 20/20 eyesight the second day. But I didn’t experience many problems either. So I am just in the middle. Maybe most people are like me, but the experience seems too boring to be shared?

My Dr. told me the surgery went as planned on both eyes, without surprises. But it did take him several tries to put the suction ring into my right eye. This may be the reason why my right eye is still quite blood-shot today? (He is supposed to be one of the top surgeons, maybe just my luck). The day after surgery, my eyesight is OD 20/80+, and OS 20/30-. It improves slowly, and 10 days after surgery, it is OD 20/40+, and OS 20/25. My doc says it will continue to improve, and I certainly hope so.

I also experienced blurry vision, dry eyes, and halos at night, but nothing too serious, and they all appear to be improving except the dry eyes.

There is no drama in my experience, and there is nothing too exciting or scary. So I guess for most people considering lasik, you probably end up the similar experience as me?

Some suggestions for people who are considering the procedure:
1. Have a realistic expectation: don’t expect the 20-minute miracle (it will better if you are lucky to have it!), but don’t be scarred by most posts you read
2. spend a lot of time selecting a surgeon.
3. The most famous surgeon may not necessarily be the best choice for you, check his/her availability to regular Joes or Jeans like us. My surgeon is very famous, but seems very rushed and often out of town.
4. If you are on the fence, wait till you are ready. Don’t jump into this by impulse! Don’t let anyone persuade you into this.

Thanks to people who answered by questions, and good luck to all of you.
littlebig

Postby purpleGORILLA » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Some suggestions for people who are considering the procedure:
1. Have a realistic expectation: don’t expect the 20-minute miracle (it will better if you are lucky to have it!), but don’t be scarred by most posts you read
2. spend a lot of time selecting a surgeon.
3. The most famous surgeon may not necessarily be the best choice for you, check his/her availability to regular Joes or Jeans like us. My surgeon is very famous, but seems very rushed and often out of town.
4. If you are on the fence, wait till you are ready. Don’t jump into this by impulse! Don’t let anyone persuade you into this.

Good suggestions. Initially I chose a location that was affiliated with a school and constantly advertised on the radio, well the surgeon brushes me off when I ask couple of simple questions. She said had a surgery to go to, however I am welcome to call or email her if I had anymore questions. Needless to say, I didn't go back to that place.

I found a surgeon according to this site who answered the 50 questions but their location was further than what I wanted to travel. In the end, I chose one who I feel comfortable with and answers all the questions I had for him.
purpleGORILLA

Postby littlebig » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks, purpleGORILLA. How are your eyes doing? Still very dry or getting better?
littlebig

Postby purpleGORILLA » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Fortunately, my dry eyes are improving. I noticed I don't have to put as many drops as I use to...
purpleGORILLA

Postby littlebig » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:32 pm

Good to hear that. I started to take fish oil capsules for my dry eyes...
littlebig

Postby littlebig » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:14 pm

One month update:
Both eyes 20/20-2, still not crystal clear.
Right eye is still blurrier than left, and developed 0.75 astigmatism. It still has a small red spot left from the surgery.
Still see halos at night.

Anyone know if the astigmatism tends to get better as the eyes heal?
littlebig

Return to Just Had It