Worrying again after PRK--starbursts and other problems

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Worrying again after PRK--starbursts and other problems

Postby dreamer1107 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:03 am

Hi
Just when I think I can sit still and be patient, I start to freak out again. I'm now into my 4th week after having a PRK enhancement done on my right eye. This enhancement was done only to fix my night and low light vision issues of really terrible (huge) starbursts, halos, and ghosts.

So far I'm having just as many starbursts etc. in my "fixed" eye as in my unfixed eye and I'm not seeing a week to week improvement. I'm so scared I'm stuck with these problems for life. I'm relatively young, so I doubt I take longer to heal, however I did have a very high prescription and large pupils (which the doctor did extensive testing on for the ehancement surgery).

What are the odds that these problems will go away? Why am I experiencing them at this point? Is there anything at this stage in the healing process that could explain why they would get better and (hopefully) disappear completely? The starbursts don't change at all whether I am fanatical about adding the lubricating drops or not.

Any medical explanations would help--I don't understand this whole healing process after PRK. I'm just so scared!
Thank you!!

So sorry for this freakout!
dreamer1107

Postby fatsheep » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:59 am

I've never had laser surgery but I would think your doctor would be the one to ask. What is your doctor telling you?
fatsheep

Postby lvziggy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 pm

Dreamer, I had PRK a year ago. For the first few months I saw the starbursts and halos at night around certain lights (not all lights for some reason), although it wasn't any worse than when I wore toric contact lenses. Now, a year later, I don't really have them at all. I think you just need to be patient, keep using drops, and things should get better eventually. With PRK, improvement is so gradual you don't really notice it until much later.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby dreamer1107 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:39 am

Hi lvziggy
I'm glad to hear that you had good results after seeing starbursts early on. Do you remember how bad your starbursts were at about the 1 month mark?
Mine are horrible (there isn't a light that doesn't have them, and they are enormous). I had them from my first PRK surgery and they never went away or even got smaller--which is why I'm so worried. I think my starburst experience is one of the more extreme ones, but I don't really understand why they are so prevalent. I haven't been to my next appointment with my doctor yet (and keep missing him when I get the chance to call)--did your doctor explain to you what is going on with this healing process? From what I understand, the epithelium regrew itself within the first week.
Thank you so much for your post--I really will try to keep your experience in mind when I start to worry. :)
dreamer1107

Return to Just Had It