monovision nightmare

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

monovision nightmare

Postby kathylee01 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:03 am

had the monovision procedure on my right eye back in April of 2006. I was in alot of pain for a few weeks. Had severe dry eye and had plugs, behind the eye, eye pain, busted eye vessels, major headaches, 4 different prescriptions, not to mention a plastic lense over the eye for about a week. My vision was the worst it had ever been. The first week in June of 2006 they had to do a flap-lift for abnormal epi-cell growth. Once again, headaches, sharp eye pain, prescriptions, plastic lense over the eye, and still very poor vision in the right eye. Two weeks later (the middle of June 2006) had another flap lift for abnormal epi-cell growth. After numerous visits to the doctor, lots of pain, poor vision, not to mention alot of missed days at work. I was scheduled to have another flap lift in the 2nd week of July 2006 due to abnormal epi-cell growth, I however, decided to get another opinion and was very happy that I did. His opinion was to leave it alone and the cells would die out. Which they did. However, I'm left with poor vision than I started with, alot of scaring and thin tissue and now it's March 2008. My advice to anyone having any type of lasik procedure done, do your homework. Ask questions...the cheapest is not always the best. YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!! :(
kathylee01

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:13 pm

If only it were so simple as to select the most expensive surgeon. Unfortunately, it is not. Even the very best surgeons have undesired outcomes, and the mediocre get it right most of the time.

We strive to help patients find the better doctors. We certify Lasik doctors who meet required patient outcomes, but even those outcomes consider the reality that there will be patients with poor results. We publish the 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor to help individuals find qualified doctors in areas where there is not a certified Lasik doctor, but even the Tough Questions do not guarantee a perfect outcome.

Your complication of epithelial ingrowth has probably occurred to any Lasik doctor who has performed more than 500 surgeries. A flap lift to remove the cells is considered an appropriate response, but as you have learned there are times when doing nothing is the very best.

Lasik is surgery and all surgery has risk. Even if the probability of a bad outcome is relatively small, it is 100% if it happens to you.

You may find our article about Lasik dry eye treatment helpful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mh » Mon May 26, 2008 9:25 am

Firstly I would like to say that this is a great forum. The response and support here are very helpful and assuring to Lasik patients. I learned many things about Lasik here and feel more confident of my situation because like everybody else, I worry about my blurry eyes and wondered and wondered whether what I am going through is a normal recovery.

I had Lasik done last week with monovision since I was already bad with the close vision with my glasses on and I am now close to 50 years old.

I was very cranky 3-4 days after the procedure because of the blurry vision, the uncomfortable eyes, endless eye drops and the big question,"Did I do the right thing?". I couldn't see clearly close or far.

But around the 3rd day, I got my close vision back. Able to read. Before that I felt very frustrated because I could not read anything, it was so difficult. I started driving my car again although I couldn't read signs and numbers clearly but I can see where I was going. Anyway I need to drive to get to work. I drove very slowly on the slow lane.

Today 11 days after, while driving this morning I think my long distance vision is coming back just like with my old glasses. I was and am still worried that my long distance vision will be forever blurry and out of focus.

I am feeling much better though. Especially learning from this forum that TIME is needed for the proper recovery and final vision. The clear long distance vision comes and goes but I think it is a glimpse of my final vision. I hope so.

Maybe I managed to see close vision faster than long distance because I spend more time with close vision work so adjusted to that faster. Yesterday I spent about 2 hours plus in a cinema (with eyes drops, some parts in dark glasses weird yes, occasionally closing my eyes to rest) watching a movie. Maybe that was a good long distance focus exercise coz today I can actually read signs and numbers infront of my car better than other days after Lasik.

Just sharing my worries and my recovery experience. Thank you.
mh

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 26, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks for the report on your progress. With monovision you need time to heal and time to adjust to the monovision effect. It can be very frustrating, but expect things to improve. You are still very early in the healing process.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mh » Wed May 28, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks very much for the encouraging words here and in my blog. This forum gives positive support and after reading many of the articles here and linked to this forum, I am now less anxious and worried. Thanks again.
mh

Postby bbmrob » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:53 pm

MH,
How are you now after your monovision, I had it 1 week ago and am also quite frustrated with both near and far blurriness?
bbmrob

Postby mh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:49 am

Hi bbmrob! I have written something in your other thread "monovision questions". :)
mh

Return to Had It A While Ago