Lasik done on 2/13, still having difficulty

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik done on 2/13, still having difficulty

Postby kelley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:58 pm

My story seems similar to many that I have read on this forum, which is a great resorce to have, but was still needing some advice. I had Lasik on 2/13, with my weaker eye being corrected for Monovision and my dominant eye for distance. I have been back multiple times to both the surgeon and the regular eye doctor. At first they told me that I would start to see better when the milky steroid was finally out of my system. This was true, kind of. When I went back after two weeks, I had dry eyes and was told to put rewetting drops, a new brand since the Systane was like Vaseline on my eyes. But, at two weeks my vision in my left distance eye had gotten worse. It started at 20/25, two weeks out it was 20/30. Two days later I went to see the surgen I had 20/50 , he told me to be patient and that my eyes were healing slowly and they seemed somewhat dry. I discussed what I had read on this website and I am now drinking tons of water, using Restasis and taking 1 tablespoon of flax oil a day. My frustation and question is that when I wake up in the morning, my eyesite is good, I could even say great, but it slowly fades over the course of the day. Why??? I have come to realize that this is a process, not an overnight success. Is there anything that I could be doing that I am not?
kelley

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:03 pm

There are a couple of probable reasons why your vision is good in the morning and deteriorates through the day.

Hydration. With your eyes firmly closed your tears keep your eyes fully hydrated. The corneas are not irritated by dry eyelids blinking across them and the eyes have time to heal.

Reduced Hydration. Natural tears are salty and salt can pull moisture out of tissue. It is possible that during the night with good tear coverage the natural salt in your tears reduced the swelling of the corneas. Even a small amount can make a big difference.

Edema. Throughout the day dry eyes are being constantly irritated by friction from the eyelids and unprotected exposure to the elements. This can result in edema (swelling). Even a small amount of edema can induce myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision and reduce the quality of vision at distance.

Exactly why your eyes are better in the morning could only be determined through examination and adjustment of treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It