scared about MMC

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

scared about MMC

Postby falldrive » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Hey all,
I've recently decided that PRK is for me due to my thin corneas, however, I am concerned about mitomycin-C (MMC) and the PRK procedure. While I do realize that it signnificantly reduces the chaces of haze post PRK, long term side effects have not yet been determined. I know that due to my high prescription (-5 in each eye) I will need MMC, but what if 10 years down the road they find out that there is a really horrible side effect that takes place 10, 20, 30 years after initial treatment?
Does anyone know any more info about MMC? I know it can be toxic and Im kinda freaked out.
Thanks so much

FD
falldrive

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:14 am

You may be mistaken about the probable need for MMC.

Corneal haze is not usually a problem until about 6.00 diopters or more of correction. Newer laser technology is less traumatic on the cornea. Also, the use of 500mg of vitamin C twice a day for two weeks before surgery plus at least one week after surgery with religious use of 100% UVA/UVB blocking sunglasses for at least a month after surgery has shown to vastly reduce the probability of corneal haze.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and you may find that in your situation MMC is not required with PRK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby excimer_guy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:21 am

MMC shouldn't be too much of a problem if it's in fact used for your rather low prescription. It would get dangerous if your surgeon applied MMC to the limbal stem cells which are essential for epithelial regeneration. But your surgeon would not do this.
excimer_guy

Return to Thinking About It