Just had it and want to check to see if this is normal/ok

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had it and want to check to see if this is normal/ok

Postby ptmccain » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:34 pm

Hi,

I had Wavefront LASIK, both eyes, monovision. Day after surgery I was 20/15 in distance eye and 20/20 close eye. Everything GREAT on the day after the surgery, had it early Sat. morning, kept eyes closed all day and night. Valium helped!

Sunday, fantastic. Miraculous.

Then, Monday came. Blurry in left eye. Uncomfortable feeling in left eye. Went in to the doc and was told I have inflammation and they told me to start using my steroid every hour, they also gave me a salve/ointment for use at night, and that super-duper tear starter stuff you use twice a day, twelve hours a part, two big tubs of it.

So, the next day I did that and it felt better, etc. But, today, not doing as well, seems to have gone backward a bit.

I am going in early tomorrow morning for follow-up and frankly, well, I'm freaking out a bit, imagining the worst case scenario.

I love my LASIK but am worried to death I'm doomed to some eternal eye drops, or severe dryness, or this won't get better.

I think when they said, "We may need to lift your flap and irrigate and wash it out" comment got me bad.

Any thoughts, advice, observations.

It does not appear to be impacting my vision, I just have this feeling as if I have "something" in my left eye.

Also, can this steroid I'm using Econopred actually cause some irritation. I feel like eyes are just kind of burning and tired from using it so often.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

PTM
ptmccain

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:18 am

It sounds like you may have a sterile inflammation under the Lasik flap. If correct, this may be Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis (DLK). Irritation, poor vision, and a prescription of steroids every hour would be expected if you have DLK, however you may not have DLK. DLK usually causes rapid visible degradation of vision. You say it does not seem to be affecting your vision much.

Yes, the steroids can cause eye irritation.

A flap lift is relatively simple, successful, quick, and would not likely cause any more discomfort than what you felt when the Lasik flap was created.

No need to freak out yet. It sounds like your doctor is responding appropriately, but be sure to telephone your doctor if you have any sudden changes for the worse.

Let us know what your doctor has to say tomorrow.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Reporting back

Postby ptmccain » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Went in this morning and the doctor carefully examined both eyes, and cornea, used florescence (sp?) check to look at corneal surfaces and said, "The inflammation has definitely gone away. All I see are some dry surface spots and I suspect you have the sensation you have from nerves growing back into the flap." In other word, all ok!

He put me on "FreshKote" drops, which are a lot better, explained to me how I now need to wean myself off the Prednisone eye drops so as not to experience ah...something he called it..backlash?

Checked my vision, which is seeminly getting better each time.

Distance: 20/10
Close up: 20/16

Gave me a green light, assured me I'm ok, nothing to worry about and explained that the worst culprit for eye dryness in post-LASIK people who otherwise are not having serious eye moisture issues is: tah-dah, computer use! And of course I have to do that a lot. That explains why when I get off the computer, in fifteen minutes eyes feel fine.

So, he told me to stay on the Restasis, which has not even had time to kick in and start working, edge off the steroid drops, keep up with antibiotic drops until I run out, and use the FreshKote as much as I want (he said he had no idea why it is prescription only, since he can see no ingredient of any harm in it potentially.

FreshKote is helping me a LOT more than the Systane they gave me.

I've scheduled to go back in three weeks. I am very amazed at how the vision is only seemingly improving. I'm five days post-surgery.

I'm using [redacted[ here in St. Louis. They are fantastic. Excellent follow up care. Great job of assuring me and really checking me out.

Note: Post edited to remove clinic's name.
ptmccain

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:46 pm

Congrats on your continued improvement. As those dry spots on your eyes resolve your vision will undoubtedly improve.

I am familiar with your doctor and he has a good reputation, but we do not allow doctor or clinic names on our bulletin board. You can, however, post your email address so those interested in Lasik in St. Louis can contact you for your recommendation.

And tell your doctor hello from me.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ptmccain » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello, I'm very sorry for violating list rules!

I can see the wisdom in that particular one.

I will share your greetings.

My e-mail is:
boc1580@aol.com

I'd be happy to talk to anyone in the St. Louis, Missouri metro area about my experiences with the doctor I chose to do my LASIK.
ptmccain

Return to Just Had It