Hyperopic drift / long term stability and regression

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Hyperopic drift / long term stability and regression

Postby croanster » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 am

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of longer term stability studies on hyperopic corrections with one of the newer flying spot lasers like the Mel80 or Alegretto. (just something with a smaller spot size basically)

Wondering what my chances of drifting back another 0.5 a dioptre or so towards my initial hyperopia would be over the next year or 2. (stared at +3.5, 8 months later at approx -0.25 -0.7ish 030) It seems a -0.5 contact lens even without the astig correction makes my night vision... um... acceptable is probably the best word for it. Not great but certainly liveable. Sharpens things up in the daytime like nobody's business as well.

I've found a few things on hyperopic drift and studies with the old broadbeam lasers but not much with the newer lasers.

Thanks!
croanster

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:53 pm

To my knowledge all of the factors that contributed to hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) shift after hyperopic vision correction surgery are the same regardless of the type of excimer laser used.

The two primary culprits are the biomechanics of the cornea and the tendancy of the epithelium to want to fill what it considers to be a "hole".

The epithelium will build up in the "trough" created for hyperopic correction, reducing the refractive change. Some doctors will simply remove the epithelium of a patient with previous hyperopic Lasik and allow it to regenerate. This eliminates the build-up and can restore some, if not all, of the lost correction.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago