Should I go for enhancement?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Should I go for enhancement?

Postby maimai » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:04 am

Hi,
Thank you to all for your posts. It's been a great help.

My left eye had Lasik 4 months ago. It is undercorrected to -1.25 diopter. My Doc susgested enhancement, but I am not sure. I have extremely dry eye. I use eye drop every two hours. I also take flax seed and fish oil capsules and Restasis. The Doc will put in plugs at the next visit.

My right eye was done about a month ago. It is very sharp and crisp 20/20. I don't have problem with reading or driving when I see with both eyes. Thanks again for your info. Because of that, I selected to have one eye done at a time.

It took 3 months for me to see with my L eye, but it is still a bit blurry.
Should I wait a bit longer or go with the enhancement surgery? What is the chance that I will be overcorrected? Will my dry eye get worst with enhancement?

Will I be benefit from the monovision if I don't have the enhancement done? Will I read without a reader when I hit 40 yrs or older?

Thank you for any advice.
maimai

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:06 pm

At this moment you have what would likely be considered a perfect monovision outcome. The question is: do you need monovision?

If you are near or beyond age 40, you probably would do well to do nothing and keep the monovision correction. Monovision can reduce your need for reading glasses while still providing adequate distance and mid-distance vision.

Once your left eye has settled down and the Lasik dry eye is under control, ask your doctor about wearing a contact lens in the undercorrected eye. This will give you a real-world experience of full correction. If this is vastly improved, then you may want to seriously consider enhancement surgery. If the improvement is not significant, then keeping your current monovision may be wise.

Remember that the enemy of good is better.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby maimai » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:33 am

Thank you Glenn for your reply.

You said that I have "perfect monovision". It sounds good. But I am not so sure because my L eye is still blurry with close up vision. I am not able to read with only L eye. I am 36, so I don't realy need monovision yet. Yet, it is going to be here be before I know it.
When the opthamologist put on a refraction glass to my L eye, I see much better. However, I am OK with my current vision. I don't need any more dry eye as the result of more surgery. So I just take it easy and be on the safe side.
maimai

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:28 pm

If you were able to have enhancement surgery to resolve the undercorrection in your left eye, in about four years you will wish you had it back.

Perhaps you could discuss with your doctor if a contact lens for the undercorrected eye would be appropriate and consider using them until presbyopia starts to reduce your near vision. You can "step down" to a contact that provides just a little myopia when presbyopia starts, and then go to a bit more myopia, and continue until you do not requrie the contact lens at all.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago