Question about overcorrection.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Question about overcorrection.

Postby griffin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:25 am

Hello all and thank you for creating such a helpful resource. I just recently had lasik done and have been on a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Luckily I have a wife who is optimistic and keeps me in line.

On February 27 at 28 years old I had custom-lasik with intralase. The surgery i suppose went fine and the rest of the day was a blur. I mostly slept and put drops in. When i had my following day checkup i was told i had 20/20. So it started off very happy for me. Following that visit, my vision got worse and then has slowly gotten better or ive gotten accustomed to it. So now its about 3 weeks out and I've had a couple of checkups because of some head aches and nausea. Everytime i go back my eyesight has gotten worse. The prescriptions are as follows.

Pre Surgery i believe it was:
Right Eye -2.25 -2.75x180
Left Eye -2.25 -3.25x005

Week later visit when i started to get headaches:
+.50-100x180
+.75-1.25x173

Then on the second trip in i was:
+1.25-1.00x180
+1.50-1.25x173

About a week ago i stepped up my lubricant drops to about every hour to 2 hours just to make sure im getting enough moisture to my eyes. Occasionally ill use ointment at night as well, i picked some up a couple days after surgery because my eyelids were stuck closed in the mornings following the surgery, this isnt the case anymore whether i use the cream or not.

Anyways, i suppose i just wanted to know if i was like everyone else or if there is anything i need to be concerned with. I have another appointment in a week and i wanted to know what to ask the doctor. He has mentioned enhancements but i think im too scared at this point. Im wearing glasses right now for reading and have changed the lenses in them with the prescription changed each time i visited. The first prescription after lasik felt better than the last one i got. Now they seem to distort things and magnify them.

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks
griffin

Postby croanster » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:26 pm

You had a fairly substantial amount of astigmatism pre-surgery. From what I've read it takes longer for your eyes to stabilise coming from that sort of script. Probably still have some edema also which would make your script fluctuate. Fingers crossed it will continue to improve and stabilise over the next month or two as your eyes keep healing. don't worry too much yet! If you can get clear vision with specs on you you're doing ok.
croanster

Postby griffin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Ive been checking back continuously waiting for someones repsonse. What a relief to finally see one. I definitely know im obsesssing.

I guess the astigmatisms that i had were fairly strong then. I think most of the problems that i have right now are associated with the left over astigmatisms as well. Hard time seeing in diminished light, no real clear vision throughout, contrasting issues, and hard to focus on text at any distance. The glasses im in now that corrects for the higher farsighted issue really other me. They distort whatever im not looking directly at. (Im really trying to keep this positive attitude my wife pushes on me, god bless her she's the best.) So what im going through would seem to be normal then.

Would one expect to have that much overcorrection when they deal with that high of astigmatisms?

Also, my starbursts are orientated up and down only... does that mean anything?

And why can i see so much clearer when i put drops in...
griffin

Postby griffin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Just wanted to say that the vision is still getting a little bit better each day. Still have to wear the glasses indoors and in low light conditions, dont know if that will improve or not. Im not really reliant upon them to read a book or the computer screen, but for things that are 5 or 6 feet away they help a lot. Seems to make edges more crisp. Looking through them for distance really doesnt help at all. Maybe thats a good thing, i dont know. Still have my fingers crossed that all will get better.
griffin

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:48 pm

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

When astimatism is more than about half of the sphere (in your case myopia), correction is much more challenging. Also, there is a coupling effect.

The laser systems do not actually correct only astigmatism. The physics of the correction requires an automatic correction of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision at the same time as astigmatism correction even if you don’t want myopic correction. This is called coupling and the ratio is about 0.25 – 0.33 diopter of myopic correction for every 1.00 diopter of astigmatism correction.

The coupling effect would automatically overcorrect you toward hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision. To achieve the desired outcome, the doctor would need to effectively override the system and provide both astigmatic correction for the astigmatism you already have, plus hyperopic correction for the hyperopia that will be induced by the astigmatism correction. This can sometimes be accomplished all in the one surgery, but enhancement surgery may be recommended to get the full correction.

At about 3-6 months postop you can discuss if enhancement surgery is appropriate for you. Hopefully it will not be needed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby griffin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:07 pm

I dont think I totally understand, but i guess it sounds like nothing abnormal is happening to me. How long does intralase edema usually take to go away. I've read that it is a longer process.
griffin

Postby griffin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:18 pm

I was curious, how can i tell if some ghosting im seeing is temporary or something i need to be more alarmed about. In lowlight situations, whenever i look at light sources or white letters on the tv, my right eye sees a doubled image below whats actually there. Im about 4 weeks out right now and had intralase custom lasik. Thanks for your response ahead of time.
griffin

Postby griffin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:57 pm

Just came up with another question. Why is it eye drops make everything seem crisper and clearer.
griffin

Postby armyvet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:42 am

How is your vision griffin? I am doing very good so far, so good it scares me....night driving is pretty bad, but I am getting better inside, altough my eyes get tired of lights. Are you getting any better? Hope all is good with you God Bless!
armyvet

Postby griffin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 am

To be honest i think im getting a little better, but not great. My inside vision is still nowhere where Id like it, and my diminished light is not great either. Im dealing with it though. I go back to see the doctor next week and i have an appointment with a second doctor just to get another perspective. I have some monocular diploplia in my right eye that doesnt seem to be getting any better. The ghosted image appears below light sources generally when in low light situations, regardless to whether im wearing my glasses or not. Halos are lessening and the starbursts might be as well. No real issues with dry eyes, but then im putting drops in about every hour to be on the safe side and using ointment at night. Then using warm compresses, lid massages and baby shampoo to keep my eyelids clean.

Its frustrating that the best my eyes have been were the 2 days right after surgery, everything was crisp and clear as a bell. I wish i could get back to that point.

BTW, thanks for your service armyvet.
griffin

Postby armyvet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:35 pm

I am sorry is not coming along well. Maybe your eyes take a little longer to recover and I hope from all my heart that is the case. For me, having at least good vision with all my health issues I am dealing with day by day was a sort of compensating, to have at least one good thing functioning, you know, and I hope this vision stays good for me. I am very weary going under the knife to solve my spine problem, and dealing with pain is a daily deal, but not being able to see well enough to get around I was already picturing myself being housebound -my mother doesn't drive and I don't have a husband or other relatives to take care of me and just the thought that I might not even make it in a car or make it to my appointments at the VA hospital in Shreveport, LA was a bad picture for me in the first week. I thank Lord for not letting that happen to me!
Working is pretty hard because I have to wake up early morning, sometimes as 5 am and I have to go bed also early too. By the time the day is over I am knocked out more than before. So...I take it day by day and pray! God Bless you and keep us posted of what the doctor says.
armyvet

Postby griffin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:58 pm

i def will let you know what the docs say. I know how debilitating back and lower extremity pains can be. I had a run with horrible sciatica for about 2 years. They thought they were gonna have to do surgery as well. Luckily though a physical therapist tried some pretty hefty stretching on me and used some pretty deep massaging to get my body working the right way again. I hope yours works out well. People who dont have chronic issues never seem to understand how depressing and worrisome they can be.
griffin

Postby armyvet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Yeah, my body structure frame was too small for all the heavy army gear and the kevlar was the killer for my neck and busted two disks C4-5. I am waiting for the docs to get more hands-on experience with the new artificial disk implants before I go on the table....like with everything, you have to wait until the doctors get a lot of experience before they cut into something very precious in your body.
armyvet

Postby griffin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:31 pm

I know what you mean. They havent made it any lighter either. I hope its on the army's dime. They've been good to me, but they dont volunteer to pay for anything unless you make them.
griffin

Postby armyvet » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:17 pm

It will either be Tricare or VA if they bring the technology - or VA will pay for it outside - it all depends. And yes I know, I had my share of fighting not to get the boot when I got out on disability, I went with a fight and won my benefits, I was one of the few in precentage that managed to get out on retirement disability to keep the benefits, but my eyes were not covered of course, so I had to pay this out of my pocket. The VA in Shreveport here is very good, tough is hard to get the tests done until you really complain a million of times....
My eyes are doing good so far, I noticed yesterday I see good inside with my sunglasses on and off, but I get tired easily....
armyvet

Next

Return to Just Had It