Is ICL Monovision Right For Me?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Is ICL Monovision Right For Me?

Postby jowens » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:38 pm

I am considering ICL surgery. My doctor is recommending monovision, and I am trying it now with contacts. I am into Day 2 and I have concerns.

The two things that I spend the most time doing are playing tennis and reading. I am an avid tennis player, playing 4-5 times a week, sometimes more. I also spend most of my workday reading and writing, mostly in front of a computer.

I have read that monovision can cause problems with activities like tennis, in which distant vision is crucial. I have also read that it may cause problems and a lot of stress on the eyes for people who read a lot, especially in front of a computer. Are those two things correct?

I'm wondering if monovision is right for me. I don't mind wearing reading glasses if I have to in order to have perfect distance vision, but my doctor seems to think mono is the way to go.

What do you think?
jowens

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Monovision is a trade-off. You gain the ability to see reasonably well both distant and near, but you lose some quality of vision and monovision can reduce depth perception. Not knowing how close a tennis ball is to you is likely going to affect your game.

You are already doing what is necessary to know if monovision is right for you by trying it with contact lenses. Some people adjust very well, others cannot stand the effect.

I like to say that you can know if you love monovision in a few days, but you won't know you hate it for at least three weeks. This is because it can take a while for the brain to adjust to monovision. If the brain adjusts quickly, then you know if you like it. If you make the decision against monovision too quickly, you may not allow the brain time to adapt.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jowens » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:14 pm

Thank you. I will give it some time.
jowens

Return to Thinking About It