Need help - 1 week since Lasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Need help - 1 week since Lasik

Postby blurryeyes » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi everyone. First of all, i would like to thank everyone for sharing their Lasik experiences on here. It's been very beneficial to read the input from all the posters.

I had my Lasik surgery 6 days ago and I'm starting to get a little worried. I hear from co-workers who had theirs and saw great the same day or next day and I'm 6 days later and I'm definitely worse than before surgery. I tried driving yesterday and I could not read license plates on cars stopped in front of me. Before surgery I definitely could easily read these.

I have an astigmatism in both eyes and can not see at distances either. To further explain the situation, I should have been wearing corrective eye wear for the last 15 years but haven't. I could not stand glasses and did not tolerate contacts too well. The doctor said there is a difference between what my brain thinks I can see and what my prescription really should be.....if that makes sense.

6 days after the procedure, things have stayed the same in my right eye and gotten worse in my left. I cannot see anything more than a few feet away and a lot of times everything looks completely blurry. I am trying to stay positive and know that it could be a long term deal, but EVERYONE that has had it done is saying by now I should be seeing improvement. I am using my drops all day long but it doesn't seem to help.

Today when I woke up even, I could not see my hand in front of my face w/ my left eye. I called the doctor and he said he thinks my eye dried up overnight and to use the Refresh drops every 30 minutes. It is a little bitter better than this morning but definitely much worse than yesterday.

any help or similar experiences would be a huge help to me. Thanks in advance.
blurryeyes

a lot of views, but no responses

Postby blurryeyes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:24 am

Can anyone offer some insight please?
blurryeyes

Postby purpleGORILLA » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:05 am

I wish I could give you some more insights but I don't think anyone here is more qualify than the opthamologist that did your surgery. Just give it time. So basically you went on 15 yrs without wearing glasses or contacts? I presume your prescription isn't that bad in order to function without any type of corrective lens.

Are you on any type of antibiotic and cortisoid solutions? Do your eyes fluctuate? How did the 24 hrs consulation goes? More details would help.
purpleGORILLA

Postby Pappy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:37 am

Some people react / heal differently. At the moment you might have all sorts of post "issues" from dry eyes to edema going on. I'd probably ask your doc to see you earlier if you feel this concerned, personally I'd demand it and ask him for the reasons behind your current poor vision. They might not be able to predict an outcome or a timeline but a "diagnosis" of why you are seeing the way you are currently seeing should be reasonable.

Hang tough and know that although "everyone" has seen improvements by day 6 there are stories (on this site and others) where it has taken longer and while I don't know the outcome of all of them the ones that kept posting after their initial worries seemed to turn out relatively fine.

Best of luck on your healing.
Pappy

Postby blurryeyes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks everyone for the insight. Here is some more info.

Yes, I went 15 years with basically no corrective eyewear. It's not that my prescription wasn't that bad, I just learned to deal with it. I didn't drive at nights if it was raining or I had to go somewhere that I was unfamiliar with. When I travel now, I take a GPS device so I know which roads to turn down. I have no problems seeing the big things, just street signs, reading presentations while at work from anywhere but the front seat, etc.

My 24 hour post-op consult was about 2 minutes long. I got the "be patient" spiel. I have my 1 week checkup this afternoon so I"ll post what he says. I'm definitely hoping to get some answers. I almost think i would rather have him say there is a problem than "just wait" so at least I know.

When I woke up today, my left eye is definitely worse than my right. I don't think my right is any better than before the Lasik procedure, but my left is definitely worse than before.

The meds I am on (anti-inflammatory and antibiotic) are Pred Forte and Zymar. Then obviously I am using a ton of the Refresh Plus drops.

Thanks again, any more insight would be great.
blurryeyes

Postby croanster » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:33 pm

Do you know what your script was? Were you longsighted or shortsighted? If you were longsighted with astigmatism the healing process is considerably longer.
croanster

Postby blurryeyes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:34 pm

I do not recall my exact prescription... i know i had a mixed one though.. both eyes had an astigmatism and i could not see distances in either eye.
blurryeyes

Postby armyvet » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:04 pm

Blurry eyes I feel after 6 days just like you. Right eye don't see difference and my left that used to be my "good eye" is blurry. I cannot see more than my hands in front of me, computer or tv and the rest....oh well....I am praying I am not going to be permanent. Using TheraTears and hoping every morning I wake up that my vision is better. I cannot afford to be without eyes...really....there will be nobody driving me around. Plus I am scared that if my vision doeas not improve enough I cannot renew my Driver Licence because I won't pass the vision test. And that will not be funny at all. I'll be housebounded and jobless! I am sorry I didn't look for this site before having the surgery, I would not have done' it!
armyvet

Postby Dee » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi,

I had lasik done in June 2007. It took months (at least 6) for me to even start to be happy with the procedure. I'll say what my doctor told me, give it time to heal. I had horrible halos and double vision, especially at night. There were many days I was so upset, in fact I think I cried just about every day last summer.

Now, I can see very well during the day and at night. I need reading glasses, but I knew that I would from the beginning. I wasn't prepared for the glare, halos and double vision. The glare and halos are gone, even at night. I have a teensy tiny bit of double vision in my left eye, but I only notice it if I'm extremely tired and driving at night. So, don't give up hope, and give yourself at least 6-8 months of healing.

Dee
Dee

Postby armyvet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:38 am

How are you doing Blurryeyes? still blurry? I got better if you look at my diary...so good I am scared!!! I hope you let us know about your progress, hopefully better than last time!!! God Bless!
armyvet

Postby lscha » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Dee, Were you farsighted before your procedure?

Laura
lscha

Return to Just Had It