CORNEAL FLAP HEALING

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

CORNEAL FLAP HEALING

Postby BAM17 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Hi,
I am 6-days post-op now....and doing pretty good. The vision isn't 20/20 yet...but it's good enough to function normally. I had flap dislocation the first day, so I know my healing time will take a little longer than normal.

My question is about the corneal flap. In researching, I've read these reports that say the corneal flap never heal entirely, that it is always at risk for dislocating. Will I ever be able to put my face in the stream from the shower again? How true are these reports that the flap only heals a small percentage? Will I need to change my lifestyle as a result of this....no more breezy days at the beach? I guess I just didn't realize that the flap could be so vulnerable even years to come. I thought it healed...and that was pretty much the end of it....you go on living life as before. How long do I need to wear goggles to bed? What happens if I accidently rub my eye 3 months from now? I'm terrified of another dislocated flap. Any help/insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
BAM17

Postby bstoner » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:23 pm

I only wore my goggles for 3 days after surgery but I didnt have any issues with my flaps so that would be up to your doctor
bstoner

your flap healing info seems a bit off...

Postby m8883ichael » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 pm

I'd be interested to know where you got your information regarding the healing of the corneal flap, but I'll put a few bits of what I know to be accurate regarding that below... I had VisX with Intralase the day before yesterday, and these are the facts I plan to go by... don't let one flap complication worry you too much.

-Flaps heal quite quickly - yes, rubbing or substantial contact with the eye could perhaps dislodge it, but after the first 2 or 3 days, it's unlikely

-Regarding the future: flaps heal completely. Your days of staring the shower head down or running down the beach with the sand blowing into your eyes are not over - give it a month or two before going all out, but I've never heard of a flap complication months down the road
m8883ichael

Re: your flap healing info seems a bit off...

Postby Pappy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:44 pm

m8883ichael wrote:I'd be interested to know where you got your information regarding the healing of the corneal flap, but I'll put a few bits of what I know to be accurate regarding that below... I had VisX with Intralase the day before yesterday, and these are the facts I plan to go by... don't let one flap complication worry you too much.

-Flaps heal quite quickly - yes, rubbing or substantial contact with the eye could perhaps dislodge it, but after the first 2 or 3 days, it's unlikely

-Regarding the future: flaps heal completely. Your days of staring the shower head down or running down the beach with the sand blowing into your eyes are not over - give it a month or two before going all out, but I've never heard of a flap complication months down the road

The flap margin never heals although over time the area between the flap and where the laser affected your cornea (stromal bed) grows fibers in between. As time goes on the negative pressure and those bonds grow stronger.

http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-flap-heal.htm

Which is why you can get the flap relifted even years after the original surgery. The actual incision is there for ever.
Pappy

Postby BAM17 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess there is a possibility of flap dislocation for the rest of my life...which kind of worries me (and which I was not informed about before I had the procedure) but I guess it's like anything else...I could walk outside and fall, and dislocate my arm! I asked my surgeon when I could discontinue the eye shileds and I was told 10 days. What have others been told my their doctors? I would rather wear them a little longer for the extra protection, than risk it. Things are healing along quite nicely...and I would hate to mess it up. I have the same issues as most at this point....dry eyes....some night/dim lighting issues...but I'm only 10 days out. I try to keep thinking of it as any surgery....like a facelift....you don't come out instantly beautiful...but over time the outcome is often rewarding. If anyone could give me any more info. about corneal flap healing and eye shields at night (Glenn the expert?) that would be great. Thanks to all :)
BAM17

Postby djc2004 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 pm

So I went in for my 3 month check-up (my previous check-ups revealed no real problems other than some dryness that they said was normal and was clearing up gradually with drops, etc.)

Anyways, during this visit, with another doctor at TLC, she says that there are some noticeable wrinkles on my right eye that she is concerned with. She says I must have rubbed my eye in my sleep, etc. in between my last visit last month since nothing was noted in my chart about the wrinkles in the flap before.

I am scheduled to see the surgeon in 2 weeks and have him take a look to see what type of damage has been done.

The thing is my vision is AMAZING. 20/20, and the dryness is gone, has been the best the past month since the surgery!

I was frustrated to hear this.

Has anyone else experienced this 2-3 months after surgery? wrinkles forming or being caused?
djc2004

Postby BAM17 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:32 am

hmmm? Seems a little late in the process for wrinkles to form....unless you gave your eye a really good rubbing, I would think. Do you remeber rubbing your eye at all? Are you being careful in the shower? The other interesting thing is that your vision did not deterioate....I would think that if you had significant wrinkles, you would definitely see some degradation in your vision immediately. People will probably think I'm nuts...but I still wear my shields at night 6 weeks out. I am a very deep sleeper....and I still have very dry, itchy eyes at times, so I have decided to wear the shields for my own protection until the dryness decreases, and there is less risk of my scratching at my eyes unknowingly.

My advice would be to see the surgeon quicker than two weeks...ask for an appointment sooner. But I also think if your vision remains good, the problem is probably minor and may resolve on it's own. Good luck and keep us updated.
BAM17

Return to Just Had It