Lasek 2 weeks ago: Vision question

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasek 2 weeks ago: Vision question

Postby Jenni » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:17 pm

Hi, I had Lasek with CustomVue Wavefront two weeks ago. My vision was -4.25 in both eyes with mild astigmatism also in both eyes. I'm able to function fine without my glasses. I can read and make out writing at far distances. The TV is exceptionally clear to me whether I've put in my lubricating drops or not.

I'm worred because, unless I have just put in lubricating drops, I don't see letters clearly. They don't seem sharp or defined--almost as if they are astigmatized or stretched or floating or there is a cloud around them.

Is this normal? I'm hoping that the fact that I can see well with drops is a good indication that when my eyes heal I'll have similar sight.

I've also noticed that on days when I get up early, my vision isn't as good as it is on days when I can sleep in--I'm guessing this also has to do with dryness.

I'm taking steroid drops three times a day and 500 mg of vitamin C a day. My doctor also put collagen plugs in both eyes.

Any thoughts on my "letters" problem would be greatly appreciated. I tend to worry a lot!

Thanks,
Jenni
Jenni

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 pm

As you suspect, the fact that you can see clearly is a very good indication that when fully healed you will see well and that your current vision limitations relate to Lasik induced temporary dry eyes. If you follow the link to this article you will find details on causation of Lasik induced dry eyes and links to treatment techniques.

At only two weeks postop what you describe is very common. Lasik related dry eyes usually resolve within the normal six month healing period.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Jenni » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:58 am

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, Glenn.

Sometimes it just feels very reassuring to hear that what I'm experiencing is normal. I'm sure everyone on the board feels the same way.

With gratitude,
Jenni
Jenni

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:43 am

I'm glad to be of service.

Dry eyes can slow healing and cause vision quality problems. Keep in mind that the nerves that "tell" you your eyes are dry have been disrupted. You can't count on the normal system to tell you to add artificial tears. Develop a regimine of lubrication and stick to it for a while, allowing your doctor to evaluate you at regular intervals.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It