Cells under lasik flap due to enhancement

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Cells under lasik flap due to enhancement

Postby Virginia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:09 am

I Had enancement May 2007. My daughter noticed a white mark in my eye. My doctor told me it was cell from the cornea that got under the flap during enhancement. It did not show up until now. He said not to worry unless vision got worse. Have you heard of this and what are my chances of him having to go in and remove the cells??
Virginia

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:51 pm

You may want to read our detailed article about epithelial ingrowth.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:27 am

How was the enhancement compared to the first go around?
Were your eyes just as dry or not as bad?
DryEye

Postby Virginia » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:30 pm

My Enhancement was not bad at all. It is easier than the initial lasik because they just have to lift the flap. My vision after enhancement was amazing!! I was reading 20/15. I even could read close up without readers. It is almost 1 yr. post enhancement and now I do need readers. I knew that from the start though. Yes, I still have dry eye and use restasis and sustane. I thought I read somewhere that if you keep lifting the flap it seperates the nerves and that can add to dry eye. We have to ask Glenn about it. That is why I hate having my doc lift that flap again to remove those cells. Plus face it, it is kind of gross. Amazing enough, the eye with the initial severe astigmatism has the better vision. I was also told that if these cells grow, i will notice it in my vision getting worse. I do advise enhancements if you are not satisfied with your first lasik. Hope I helped!
Virginia

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:57 pm

Lasik related dry eye is attributed, in part, to a disruption of the nerves within the cornea. When the Lasik flap is repositioned, these nerves begin to heal and regenerate to preoperative levels. Each time the flap is lifted, the healing begins anew.

Lasik flap lifts are performed when needed and are avoided when possible to allow continued healing. This is one of the reasons why many doctors will simply monitor epithelial ingrowth to determine if it is improving or if a flap lift is required.

The experience of flap lift and epithelial ingrowth removal will not likely be much different than your enhancement surgery, except no laser.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby griffin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:02 am

can i ask what your prescription was before the initial surgery and the enhancement... i too had pretty bad astigmatisms... at this point im thinking i may need to consider an enhancement, but keeping my fingers crossed that my eyes will continue to get better... 5 weeks out and they are still changing... thanks for your response ahead of time...
griffin

Postby Virginia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:51 am

It has been so long ago. I know my worse eye was 4.75. Now I see 20/20 in that eye after enhancement. My other eye was not nearly as bad. I see 20/20 in that one too but the letters are much more crisp on the right. Collectively, is see 20/20. It is so strange that I see so great in my worse eye. Actually, it is great! I do have trouble with dryness. But I am 53 and had problems wearing contacts because of dryness. So I guess that I was predisposed to it. Hope this helps. Just communicate well with your doctor. Ask questions, that is what they are there for!!
Virginia

Return to Had It A While Ago