starbusts progressively worse

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

starbusts progressively worse

Postby lboogie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:16 am

I am 4 months post wavefront lasik and have had pretty much every problem under the sun, dry eyes are the worst, but I've noticed a fairly major increase in starbursts around lights at night. Noticabley worse than immediately following surgery.

Is there an explanation for why these would be getting worse?

Thanks.
lboogie

Postby boston » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Dude, I would not only use preservative free artificial tears regularly, BUT take flaxseed oil daily, and religiously. This will help you heal better, as you continue to heal. Flax oil is good for all parts of your body, including eyes.
Good luck man.
Btw, I've heard starbursts are mostly caused by dryness, because when the eye gets dry it wrinkles slightly in the eye (kinda like a prune I think), causing starbursts.
Take care.
boston

Postby lboogie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:20 pm

trust me, I'm on eveything possible -- flaxseed oil in liquid form, fish oil, tears, warm compress, even doxycycline to deal with clogged glands and inflamation.

the starbursts go away when I turn on a light, in the kitchen looking out the window.
lboogie

Postby Pappy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:57 pm

lboogie wrote:trust me, I'm on eveything possible -- flaxseed oil in liquid form, fish oil, tears, warm compress, even doxycycline to deal with clogged glands and inflamation.

the starbursts go away when I turn on a light, in the kitchen looking out the window.

It might be do to your pupil being larger than your ablation zone (so when the lights go on it constricts).
Last edited by Pappy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pappy

Postby lboogie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:04 pm

true -- and they are slightly -- my dim were measured at 6.75 and the optical zone was 6.5 with a blend out to 9mm.

BUT even so, they were not that bad at all during the first few months after surgery -- why worse now? Ugggh.
lboogie

Postby zhuki » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:22 pm

well i kindof have the same, at night there are starbusrts and halos , but i remember when i put artificial tears it would all go away for a few seconds/minutes, but i stopped using drops now. If i keep my eyes closed for a while and open them the starburts and halost seem to go away for a moment, also when i go to bed and close my eyes, it feels like theres something in there... anyone knows if this is because of dry eye or something else

zhuki
zhuki

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Dry eye is undoubtedly the key to the starbursting problems, but the underlying cause of the dry eye needs to be diagnosed and treated. If it is an aqueous deficit, then the flax seed and fish oils are not necessarily going to help. If it is an inflammation problem, then the Omega 3 essential fatty acids that you get from flax and fish oils will be helpful.

Be sure to visit our article about Lasik dry eye problems.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lboogie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:37 am

how can you be so sure? If that's the only cause, then why do the diminish under bright lights? I will be exploring this later this month at a follow up.
lboogie

Postby bexensol » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi iboogie.

May I suggest you take a look at another starburst related thread, which may provide some ideas?

http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=1644
bexensol

Postby lboogie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:39 am

My doctor knows my concerns about this and I see her in a week. What should I ask to get valid answers as to why this has happened?

From what I understand they often give you wrong numbers for pupil size and read the topographies incorrectly.

thanks.......
lboogie

Return to Had It A While Ago