Starburst and halo- Share your experience

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby bexensol » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks for the info, croanster. I'll be seeing if I can get my hands on some Alphagan in the next week to see if I have the same experiences as you.

I picked up my prescription for the lubricant eye drops today. It's called FreshKote. Seems its new. 3 drops a day. Will be on this for a month, then back to Lasik Dr.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/freshkote-drops.html
bexensol

Postby bexensol » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:57 pm

* Update April 9th 08 *

Two mini updates I thought I'd share.

Over the weekend, while driving at night, it was suggested by a passenger that I turn on the interior light to see if that makes any difference to the starbursts. I was amazed - while watching the rear view mirror and turning the interior light on and off, I could watch the head lights behind me and their starbursts shrink and grow.

Rather conclusive that my issue is related to pupil size, I would say.

Secondly, I'll be picking up a script for Alphagan P on Friday, and intend to test it on Friday night. I'll update on the weekend with the results.
bexensol

Postby lboogie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi there -- so did your wavescans or topography indicate any irregularities? I understand that halos are usually more indicatative of residual correction, and starbursts are more common with higher order abberations.

I'm going to be following up with these concerns in 2 weeks. I find it strange that my starbursts got worse a few months after lasik, not better.
lboogie

Postby bexensol » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:15 pm

No irregularities were brought to my attention. My Dr will be discussing my post-lasik wavefront with me when I see him in early May, but the technician didn't see anything to be concerned about.
bexensol

Postby lboogie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:24 pm

I have just returned from a vision therapy appt. (I have post-lasik convergence issues). And the doctor said that my flap scars are very obvious. He said that a very clean flap would be barely noticeable -- uggghh -- that is what is probably causing my night vision issues. He also mentioned that since I"m only 4 months out, maybe that is still normal -- he wasn't a lasik expert by any means.

Any thoughts for my on "big" flap scars? And what is normal?
lboogie

Postby griffin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 pm

could you explain what post lasik convergence issues are boogie...
griffin

Postby lboogie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:57 am

It means that my eyes have a hard time working together in some scenarios -- like close/ mid-range. I most likely had some underlying issue that was made worse with new vision. -- there are articles on this site about convergence.
lboogie

Postby griffin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:28 am

you didnt seem to have the issues before though?... i've had problems trying to get multiple things into focus or just feeling like ive lost depth perception in my mid range... ive been trying to play ping pong and handball to get it back... thought that maybe my eyes were just trying to strain due to some prescription left in my eyes...
griffin

Postby lboogie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:18 am

after talking to my mom, she mentioned that I did go through some exercies when I was younger. But then I wore contacts and never really noticed anything in my adult life.

from what I have read and learned, a mild convergence insufficiency can become more pronounced after lasik. I think my eyes have become more used to everthing AND I also think the vision therapy I've doing is helping too.
lboogie

Postby forress » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:15 pm

bexensol thanks for the updates. I'm in the same shoes as you. I had CustomVue Lasik done May 2007 and have 20/15 vision in the daytime. But at night the starbusts are affecting my driving and my line of work. After some research, I've asked during post-op and was told I have large pupils.

I've asked my doc about Alphagen P but she suggested a pair of glasses with a tiny prescription and anti-glare coating first. I'm also considering a pair of RGP lense fitting with Dr.G if my situation doesn't improve.
forress

Postby bexensol » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:57 pm

* Update Sat 12th April 08 *

I acquired and tested Alphagan P last night. For the first time in a year I experienced night-time sharpness. It took approximately 20 to 25 mins for my pupils to reverse-dilate, but then came a clarity that I was very happy with. It felt as if my night-time vision had finally matched my day-time vision, with streetlights, car lights, LEDs, LCDs and the TV having the 'fog' and starbursts dramatically reduced.

My personal side effects of using Alphagan P, was that my eyes felt 'heavy', or what could be described as an aching feeling. I also felt some tension between my eyes, although not what I'd describe as a headache. And other than the white of my eyes being much whiter that I ever remember seeing them, no other issues.

I believe I am in for an interesting conversation with my Lasik Dr at the beginning of May. I am going to tell him I trialled the drug, it had the effects of reducing the starburts, and he can inform me of my options.

One question that came to mind, with regard to post-op 'enhancements'. The size of the lasik flap - is that one size fits all, is it fairly consistent in its diameter, or is it really patient by patient? I'm wondering if my lasik flap is actually large enough for enhancements to be carried out to the underlying cornea given the size of my fully dilated pupils (measured at 9mm).

At this point I have very little confidence that any further surgery is going to help. As also previously mentioned, I do not wish to risk my excellent day-time vision, and now if I need clarity at night, I can achieve it.

To foress - those are certainly interesting options, although no doubt like me, you had Lasik to remove the need for glasses/contacts. I'm definitely interested in hearing how those suggestions work out for you though, should you decide to try them.
bexensol

Postby dreamer1107 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:44 am

Hi again to everyone :)
Not sure if this is of any help to you bexensol, but I just had an enhancement early February to fix my night vision problems (terrible starbursts, halos, ghosts..) using PRK, and I am still having all of the same complaints.

Oddly enough, I'm having some new daytime issues as well with green stoplights. Since I'm now 2 months out and haven't seen any changes since maybe the first week after the enhancement, I've been feeling pretty discouraged. I never had any starbursts, etc. before going in for my initial surgery. One other thing worth mentioning is that I can actually read 20/20 or better on an eye chart at this point--but it doesn't translate to real life (even in the daytime).

Alphagan P does lessen my night vision problems, but I am worried that I may not be able to find a doctor that will continue to prescribe this to me (as a lifelong solution).

On a related note, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can research the doctors in my area in order to get a highly qualified second opinion? I need to find a doctor that performs PRK in the Chicagoland area.

Thanks!!
dreamer1107

Postby forress » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:45 am

Update: I've been using my new glasses at night and do notice a small reduction in the glare/starbusts. The big difference is that with no glasses, the starbusts are mostly blurred around the center of the object. With the glasses, the center of the starbusts are sharper and more clearer. This helps since I can make out what an object is at night. So while the glasses at night does not remove the starbusts, it makes driving/working at night more tolerable.

I will talk to my doc about trying Alphagan P or RGP lenses.
forress

Postby forress » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Update 11/13/08

I've made a trip to Dallas to see Dr. G last month and had good success, read about it here:
http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=1744
forress

Previous

Return to Just Had It