15 Days Post op...a few stupid questions ;)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

15 Days Post op...a few stupid questions ;)

Postby The Muse » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:37 pm

I had custom wavefront LASIK on 3/24 and have a few questions (some a stupider than others)...

1) My right eye vision is crystal clear & sharp, my left eye is slightly blurry, is there still a chance that this will improve?

2) I have a very tiny microstrae in my left eye, my LASIK doc said that smoothing it out would do more harm than good because it's "barely there". Could this be causing the blurriness in that eye?

3) With custom wavefront, do they laser according to the "which is better A or B" test, or the scans? I'm hoping I didn't mess up the "which is better" and that's why my eye is blurry.

4) They did my left eye first and didn't tell me they were starting the procedure, so I didn't know to stare at the light at first. I kind of figured they'd tell me when they were starting. Could this be the reason for less than optimum results in that eye so far?

Thanks so much for any insight!
The Muse

Postby BAM17 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi Muse,
I also had Cusom Wavefront Lasik on 3/19. I too am experienceing very sharp vision in my right, and slightly blurry in my left. I'm just learning...a lot from this web site...but I would say:

Yes...your blurry eye can still improve. Dryness should improve and help with the bluriness. As your eye continues to heal, your vision will improve.

I believe your doctor would closely compare your refraction errors....the results from the machine...compared to the "which is better...one or two"....if there was a significant discrepancy, he/she would do it again until the doctor was certain of your refractive error. I doubt you "messed things up" with the "which is better" test.

If for some reason your blurry eye wasn't corrected completely, you can have an enhancement later on. I believe many micro-striae do smooth out over time, so go to your surgeon regularly and continue to have it checked. I will be three weeks tomorrow, and my left eye is not as crisp. I am going to give it a few months before I even think about enhancement. I probably would prefer to wear a light prescription glasses when needed (driving at night, etc.) rather than have more surgery.....but everyone is different. I'm sure Glenn can give you much better answers than I....but I know it's always nice to hear from someone who is kind of in the same boat! Good luck and keep me posted.
BAM17

Postby BAM17 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:04 pm

OH....one more thing...

When the laser was explained to me...I was told that there is a "safety" feature on the laser....and if the eye or your view is not in the correct spot...it will not proceed. I don't know which kind of laser was used on you....for me it was LadarVision. I think there are many safety features on these newer lasers to avoid complications like that....but mention it to your surgeon....I'm sure he/she can answer your question and most likely calm your fears.
BAM17

Postby The Muse » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi BAM,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry that you're experiencing the same sort of "issue", but it is good to know that I'm not the only one in this situation.

Also good to know that I probably didn't mess up the "which is better" test...I was REALLY afraid I'd picked the wrong one, or moved too much, and that's why my eye was blurry.
The Muse

Postby Rocksville » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm not scheduled to get zapped until the 18th of April, but from what I'm told the wave scans also take a map of your Iris and will lock on to the correct spot based on the specific map of your eye that it took. Thats how it tracks any movement of the eye...or thats what they told me.

As for the the computer scan vs. the subjective eye exam. They do compare them and base their surgery on both. They told me not to stare too intently on the red dot in the wave scan, which I couldn't figure out how not to do, so I just stared at it lol. I guess they were worried about over straining the eyes to see the dot and thus getting an impropper reading.
Rocksville

Re: 15 Days Post op...a few stupid questions ;)

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:56 pm

The Muse wrote:1) My right eye vision is crystal clear & sharp, my left eye is slightly blurry, is there still a chance that this will improve?

Absolutely. You are still very early in the healing stages.

The Muse wrote:2) I have a very tiny microstrae in my left eye, my LASIK doc said that smoothing it out would do more harm than good because it's "barely there". Could this be causing the blurriness in that eye?

It can be the cause of the less than excellent vision quality, but your vision degradation may be due to other issues. If you read our article on micro striae (flap wrinkles) you will see that it is often better to leave micro striae alone and allow healing to resolve the problem.

The Muse wrote:3) With custom wavefront, do they laser according to the "which is better A or B" test, or the scans?

All are used to determine which method of mapping is best.

If the difference between the manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?), cycloplegic refraction (which is better without focus changes), and/or the wavefront analysis is too great, the patient's subjective evaluation of the manifest refraction is almost always the most appropriate.

The Muse wrote:4) They did my left eye first and didn't tell me they were starting the procedure, so I didn't know to stare at the light at first. I kind of figured they'd tell me when they were starting. Could this be the reason for less than optimum results in that eye so far?

The doctor can see where your eye is and what the laser sees. Modern lasers have eye tracking systems that help tremendously. It is possible that there was some error in application of the laser treatment, but it is highly unlikely.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby The Muse » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Thank you. It's hard not to question every little thing I've done that might have led to a lesser result in my left eye. But it seems like I'll just have to be patient.

Overall though, I'm very pleased with the results and glad I did it. It's so nice to see upon waking up and to not have to mess with glasses or contacts. I'm grateful that my procedure went well. I was scared to death after reading about all of the bad results people have had.
The Muse

Postby armyvet » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 am

Like everybody says here, you gotta have patience and ...wait wait wait...I was scared to death the first week, i was blind as a bat could not see the licese plate in front of me.....Now I am doing fine.
Keep them wet, gaze in the distance and the get as much rest as you can. And yes, do PRAY! GOD is amazing!
God Bless you!
armyvet

Postby 6502programmer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Rocksville wrote:the wave scans also take a map of your Iris and will lock on to the correct spot based on the specific map of your eye that it took. Thats how it tracks any movement of the eye...or thats what they told me.

Depending upon the laser used, yes. I researched the Visx Star S4 used for my surgery before having it done, and this is what I found in the FDA docs.
6502programmer

Return to Just Had It