Newbie Question - Monovision or not ?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Newbie Question - Monovision or not ?

Postby GeoAtl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:11 pm

I have done my initial evaluation and am a canidate for Lasik. Before I ask my question here is an "about me"...I do not know my prescribtion off hand but my contacts are -2.75 in each eye. I use contacts and glasses about 50/50. I am 44 years old. I do not have reading glasses BUT when I have on my regular glasses or contacts for distant vision I can read upclose fine (books, computer, small print) as well as see very good in the distances (THEY ARE NOT BiFOCALS). If I take off my glasses I really have to get close to the screen or book to read (about 9" away). I want lasik to give me the near and far vision i now enjoy with glasses. I am not opposed to having cheaters for work or reading books on occasion if need be but would prefer not to have to always have them. I work in an office but I play outside I cycle often and at a high recreational level doing 50 mile plus rides in groups at high speeds in close proximity to others, I fish and I play ball sports and in the pool and at the beach with my young boys. Also I watch a good bit of TV in the evenings, The TV is around 30" and the room is not huge so I am probably about 6 feet or a bit more from the sofa to the TV, that i can see fine with glasses on (midvision?).

I was told i am a canadate for monovision with a very small .5 planned difference. My questions...based on the above would I have concerns about loss of depth and loss of quality distance vision. 1) is the .5 difference enough to create such problems ? 2) If quality and clarity of distant vision is key to me is Mono the right answer? 3) I'm confused why if my glasses that are made for distance only are seemingly good enough to fix both my distant and near vision to a satisfactory level why cant Lasik do the same without having to settle for the compromise of Monovision?

I hope I don't sound like an idiot but I'm confused. I want to live life in "HD" without glasses or contacts and I thought Lasik was the answer but after learning about monovision and reading this board I am a bit confused/nervous as to if I am making the right choice ? :?
GeoAtl

In the same boat...

Postby cnoel » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:03 pm

I am in the same boat and wondering the exact same thing. I just had my visit with the doctor today and she told me that if I have the Lasik surgery on both eyes, I will see 20/20 for distance, but the kicker is that I will need reading glasses. I see fine right now for reading without any glasses so it would seem to me, I would be just trading one type of eyesight for the other and at a total cost of $4400!! The one other option for me is the monovision. Like you, I am unsure if that is a good choice for me. There is one way to test that out and that is to try wearing a contact lens. The doc gave me one contact lens to wear on the weaker eye for a trial run. That will tell me if I can live with one eye for distance and one eye for reading, thus the term "monovision". I will start the trial run tomorrow since my eyes are still dilated from the eye drops. Suggest you might want to try the same thing. Good luck!
cnoel

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:44 pm

We have two articles for each of you to read that will answer most, if not all, of your questions. Read monovisionand sudden presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It