Custom PRK - Post-op Blurriness (Unique Problem)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Custom PRK - Post-op Blurriness (Unique Problem)

Postby slider9499 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:32 pm

4/10/08

Back in 2004 I had lasik. Right eye came out perfect, left eye was screwed up. On March 27, 2008 I had custom PRK to correct the left. It has now been two weeks since the surgery and although the vision is better than it was pre-surgery - I still cannot see clearly. It seems as if I am looking through a car windshield in winter when the defroster isn't on. Makes sense?

I am on the standard post-op drops (4x per day), plus Refresh drops to keep my eyes moist. When I wet my eye my vision is almost perfect. When the eye dries the vision clouds back up again.

I am 46 years old, in very good health and believe highly in my eye surgeon and post-op eye professional. Given the above, can someone tell me what is the "expected" or "average" recovery time and when can I expect to see clearly?
slider9499

Postby 6502programmer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:52 pm

PRK can take a while to heal. It took about a month for me to recover to the point of what I'd call "good" vision, and now, two months postop, I'm quite happy with my results.

I would take comfort in the fact that it clears up when you put the drops down. AIUI, the reason for that is that the epithelium still is in the process of recovering. When you put the drop in, it "fills in" the small crevices in the epithelium. As the epithelium continues recovering, it will fill in the small cracks on its own.
6502programmer

Postby slider9499 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:17 pm

Well, that is GOOD NEWS!

My surgeon called me this morning and told me that this is common with PRK procedures and it should get better within the next 3 weeks or so. But what you said sounds exactly like my situation. I hope to have the same results!

Thanks
slider9499

My experience with blurriness

Postby catnmus » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 pm

I had epi-lasik, which I think is similar to PRK in terms of healing. I had each eye done separately. The second one is still healing, but seems to be tracking along timewise pretty much the same as the first (but maybe a little behind).

My vision seemed to improve daily for the first week or so - clearer and clearer each day. I was so excited. But then it stopped. I don't know if I would say that it got worse, but it certainly stopped getting better. I was very discouraged. But, what they say is true - somewhere around week 4 it started improving again. By week 9, I was 20/20 in the that eye (albeit with a slight astigmatism).

That said, I don't know if my blurriness was the same as yours. Just from your description, it sounds to me like the definition of "corneal haze". This should also clear up over time, but I don't have any experience with that.
catnmus

Return to Just Had It