Preservative Free Artificial Tears

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Preservative Free Artificial Tears

Postby David White » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:21 pm

Glenn, you usually say to use these vs. regular drops until LASIK induced dry eye is gone. My problem is I had dry eyes before LASIK so I don't really know when the LASIK induced dryness ends. It's only been 3 weeks so I know it's not time yet. But is there a typical length of time like 1 month or 2 months when it's OK to move onto the regular Refresh Plus vs. the non preservative Refresh Plus ?

After 3 weeks, I'm still around 20/30, the same as the day after the procedure, so I know I need to treat my eyes well with the preservative free for now as they aren't where I want them yet. But I love to carry those green bottles around instead of those little vials :)
David White

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:59 pm

I know you are not going to like this recommendation because of the added cost, but you should always use preservative-free eye drops even without Lasik or long after surgery.

The preservatives used in eye drops are essentially a mild toxin. It makes the artifical tears toxic to the things that would cause it to deteriorate and spoil. Toxins, even mild toxins, are not too good for your eyes. Many over-the-counter eye drops that contain preservatives can actually induce or exacerbate dry eyes.

The best is to use preservative-free eye drops at all times. Second best would be to use the preservative free on contact eye drops. The distant last would be eye drops with preservatives.

You doctor is undoubtedly monitoring your dry eyes and will be the person best able to tell you when to reduce your artifical tear lubrication regimine.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby David White » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:58 am

The regular drops I like is "Refresh Tears" (I got the name wrong above) which has the Purite preservative - although I realize the non-preservative is recommended, is there a rule of thumb for this non preservative on contact ? My doctor said 3 months but that was a generic, and I think conservative, answer, as opposed to something specific for my eyes. I've heard anywhere from 1-3 months and was wondering if I really need to be as conservative as 3 months.

As my vision is still not where I want it (a little blurry and some ghosting) I'm guessing the 3 months will apply :(
David White

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:29 am

The doctor will know how your healing is progressing, but three months seems to be about when most people are no longer requiring preservative-free.

Purite disappates on contact and exposure to ambient light. If you put it in your eyes and go to bed for the night, dissipation of the preservative will not be nearly so quick. At the very least, use true preservative-free or gel lubes at night.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby maxxed » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:24 pm

For me the preservative causes a stinging sensation, especially after any recent surgery.

I much prefer preservative free drops for that reason alone.
maxxed

Return to Just Had It