Glasses for night vision while still healing?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Glasses for night vision while still healing?

Postby LauraD » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:05 am

Hi, I had lasik 5 weeks ago. I have my 6 week followup this coming Friday and I want to ask if it's possible I can get a glasses prescription for my terrible night vision. It's become unacceptable and dangerous. My husband has to come with me to walk the dogs because It's in a park by my house and I would not be able to see someone in a distance or signs or anything for that matter. God forbid something happens where I just have to drive at night, there would be no way. Has anyone used glasses in the healing process?

Also how long till the tired feeling in my eyes goes away at night. I can't possibly put any more drops in my eyes for the "dry eye" sympton. I'm already at two vials an hour.

Thanks.
LauraD

Postby LauraD » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:47 pm

20 views? No one has heard of doing this or tried to do it themselves? Glasses anyone?? There are alot of threads on here with no replies and they are legitimate questions. Why?
LauraD

Postby LauraD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:52 am

Right ON! 50 Views!!!

LauraD

Hang in there ?

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:47 am

Hi , Laura sometimes it takes some time for people (s) to reply. And the Lasik expert may be busy or away. That said lets see if I can help. The first thing is to answer your question with a question. Did you check with your Doctor? and what did they say?

Your questions are somewhat typical yet very difficult to answer because there are so so many things dependant on the situation. I take it your daylight vision is good and that means something was corrected right. Night vision disturbances are common for most people till the healing takes place. I had a pair of glasses with one lens a +1 for my undercorrected monovision eye. The doctor suggested it, and it works. I think from your questions both eyes are bad at night, am I correct. I'll leave it at that for now and lets see what time and your Doctor will tell.
Dry eyes and eye fatigue are not uncommon because your eyes are under strain adjusting to the new situation. Keep up the drops but don't go crazy, check with you doctor because he may do some plugs or prescription drops that are better for the long run than a vial an hour, but these circumstances are subject to change, they may have improved some since your last wrote your problem. I think maybe some of us don't reply all the time is because we are used to LASIK induced PANIC and most of it clears up with time and talk..and alot of tears....real or artificial.. let us know what the doctor says.. Bob
Mr.UnPerfect

Postby overcorrectedjw » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Laura,

You're not alone. I had my Lasik procedure on January 10th and was a bit overcorrected (from very nearsighted to slightly farsighted). I was given an eyeglass prescription to correct the farsightedness. It's the difference between seeing slightly blurry to seeing crisply. At first, I used the glasses 100% of the time while driving. As my vision was gradually improving, I switched to nightime only and now to only nightime and raining. Your need comfort and confidence while driving at night, so don't worry about wearing glasses while your eyes are healing.

As for lubricating drops, you can expect the need for drops to decrease over time. I went from about 10 or more vials per day to using drops 3-4 times a day (needed mostly upon awakening).

Be patient - things will improve.

Regards.
overcorrectedjw

Postby LauraD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. Mr. unPerfect and overcorrected. My day vision is okay but not as great as I would like. My right is still slightly blurry and I can't wear sunglasses while I drive because I need all the light I can get to see the signs. My left is clear but still blurry like when I'm on the laptop and look up at the office number. It's all blurry. I see my Dr. on Friday Maybe for watching TV too because my eyes get soooo tired. I've been going to bed earlier then I ever did in the last few weeks. My eyes are just exhausted.

Once again thanks for the replies. I just wante to know if I was asking for something crazy. Wearing glasses after lasik seems like an oxymoron. LOL
LauraD

Postby BAM17 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi Laura,
I'm probably in a similar situation. i had Lasik 4 weeks ago...and struggle a bit in low light situations and driving at night. Many people need eye glasses to get them throught the healing months. My doctor told me from the start that Lasik is to help "reduce" dependence on corrective lenses, not always eliminate them. You may need glasses at night for awhile until you heal a little more. Just out of curiosity...what was your pre-op refractive error? Hang in there....I bet you will see improvement as your eyes continue to heal. That's what I am hoping for myself as well.
BAM17

Postby LauraD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks Bam. I don't know what my pre-op refractive error was. I'm just hoping I can get a prescription for glasses. I hope they don't say "Oh well now that won't be good for your eyes" or "It'll not heal right" something to that effect. I know they don't sell or make the glasses at my center. Just want to walk in a place with the prescription.

TV is a little tough now because I can't see the text when I'm changing the channel and I know I would enjoy the movies better.
LauraD

Return to Just Had It