PRK (3 months and still going)

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

PRK (3 months and still going)

Postby Pappy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:19 am

http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=1612

My original and really just putting this up to update.

At this point my day time vision is 20/awesome. I see better then I ever did with glasses or contacts.

I have no dry eye symptoms and up until about a week ago I would wake up with sticky lids (best description I can come up for it) that would go away after a few blinks. This has disappeared.

I was having eye discharge when lighting situations changed (you know that thick clowdy corner of your eye tear). But this has also disappeared.

So the only thing left to update is my night time vision.

I'll break it down into 2 seperate parts, low light adjusted pupil and not.

Alright so at 3 months my non adjusted low light vision results in large starbursts (which have been diminishing) and prescription fluctuations (which is also subsiding). It takes about 5 minutes for my eyes to adjust (goign from well lit to dark area) and as they do the starburst diminish but are replaced with light fog (halo but not as defined).

My low light adjusted vision is pretty good, not as good as it was before surgery but pretty good. I don't experience starburst just "fog" around lit objects like microwave timer. I would say it feels as though I need glasses to sharpen it up but I waiver on it since all objects I see are defined it's only around lit objects (like LEDs) that I feel my eyes are a bit our of focus.

So those are my only complaints and it does feel like it's improving ever so slowly.

I am currently prescription wise about +.50 in each eye and my doc expects by late fall I should be to plano as regression and healing occur.

So I'll update again every 3 months on these final issues.
Pappy

Re: PRK (3 months and still going)

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Pappy wrote:...
I am currently prescription wise about +.50 in each eye and my doc expects by late fall I should be to plano as regression and healing occur.

Thanks for sharing, Pappy! I am earlier in the healing than you, only 20 days post-op, 1.5 weeks more of steroid usage to go.

Your story so far is an encouraging one.

I suspect some hyperopy or astig on my left eye at this moment in the healing.

How do you notice a hyperopy visually? Are things a little smaller?

For the final result, noticable after 10-15 months, I have gathered it is ideal to end up with a dash of myopia, rather than hyperopia ( if you don't end up plano ).
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Postby Pappy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:55 am

Olof_LASEK_Sweden wrote:

Thanks for sharing, Pappy! I am earlier in the healing than you, only 20 days post-op, 1.5 weeks more of steroid usage to go.

Your story so far is an encouraging one.

I suspect some hyperopy or astig on my left eye at this moment in the healing.

How do you notice a hyperopy visually? Are things a little smaller?

For the final result, noticable after 10-15 months, I have gathered it is ideal to end up with a dash of myopia, rather than hyperopia ( if you don't end up plano ).

Possibly, not exactly sure I know I feel like I see things much better (specially 10 feet out) then I ever did with glasses or contacts and my level of detail as I've progressed is better.

That's very subjective since I can't compare it but it feels that way.

I think the only thing as far as the hyperopia is affecting me is extremely close vision (palm 2 inches from your face). I used to be able to read that close up now it throws me for a loop visually (I can almost feel my brain singing when trying to adjust) but put my hand out to 6 inches and it's fine.

I can tell you that until both my eyes came to the same script level that was probably the hardest part for me to deal with and chances are I'd suck as a monovision candidate. Even a small (I was +1 +.75 at like 8 weeks out) difference gave me slight headaches by days end.
Pappy

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Possibly, not exactly sure I know I feel like I see things much better (specially 10 feet out) then I ever did with glasses or contacts and my level of detail as I've progressed is better.

That's very subjective since I can't compare it but it feels that way.

I think the only thing as far as the hyperopia is affecting me is extremely close vision (palm 2 inches from your face). I used to be able to read that close up now it throws me for a loop visually (I can almost feel my brain singing when trying to adjust) but put my hand out to 6 inches and it's fine.

I can tell you that until both my eyes came to the same script level that was probably the hardest part for me to deal with and chances are I'd suck as a monovision candidate. Even a small (I was +1 +.75 at like 8 weeks out) difference gave me slight headaches by days end.
'

OK, thanks for sharing.

I am now 25 days post-op. I tried a colleague's reading glasses today, at strength +1.0. I was then able to read on paper and computer screen with my left eye. I noticed that the vision blurred at 5-10 m distance. That was encouraging because it means I stand "only" at +0,25 to +0,5 hyperopia on the left according to my own guessing. I get no headache or dizziness. I suppose it has to do with my right eye being dominant.

As you may have seen in my other posts, my right eye is close to perfect, but it still has ghosting, which screws it up for watching farther away objects.

Night vision is better than before the surgery.

Is there anyone else reading this who had 0,25 to 0,5 hyperopy 3-4 weeks post op and had it regress completely, coming from a -3 ( -0,75 astig 90 ) pre-op situation??

One can't help worrying, regardless of being early in the healing process.
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Return to Had It A While Ago