Had Lasik over two months ago, eyes sting when showering.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Lasik over two months ago, eyes sting when showering.

Postby traveler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:59 am

I had Lasik Feb 1st using Intralase and standard lasik, I am now pretty happy with my vision. My eyes are a bit dry, but what concerns me is that when I shower if I get any water in my eyes it stings terribly and my eyes get red. I keep a dry wash cloth with me and pat my eyes dry before opening them so as to avoid getting water in my eyes when showering. It is really getting annoying and just want things to get back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this? If tap water hurts my eyes I don't think that I will be able to do any swimming this summer.
traveler

Postby BAM17 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Yes! me too. I asked my surgeon about this, and he said he didn't know why....but that he wasn't concerned. It is very annoying...and i do the same thing you do.....pat my eyes before I open them. I had this procedure so I would be able to swim etc. this summer. It is a bit discouraging. I'm going back to MD today...I'll bring it up again.
BAM17

Postby traveler » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:29 am

Good to know that I am not the only one! I have an appointment with my normal eye doctor the 29th. I want a second opinion about everything.
traveler

Postby Tempted » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:48 am

I haven't had any surgery, and sometimes when I shower I get water in my eyes, and it stings, too. So, it must be normal. Our eyes probably don't like water.
Tempted

Postby traveler » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:46 am

I have had several people tell me that their eyes sting when they get water in them. It's just that prior to Lasik water did not sting my eyes.
traveler

Have you tried sticking a fork in it?

Postby epthorn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 am

Just kidding.

Is it the water itself or the pressure?

I only ask because after my surgery (PRK, surprisingly) I noticed that occasionally I'm rubbing my eyes a little and I feel a very sharp pain in them, one that I know I never had before.

If it is the water (either way, actually), sorry to hear that... I know that one of the reasons I got surgery was so I could swim without worrying about my contacts or wearing glasses.
epthorn

Postby MamaBean » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:38 am

Wow, this is the first I've heard about water stinging the eyes, and I know several people that have had Lasik. I had PRK and get water in my eyes all the time from the shower. It feels exactly the same as getting water in my eyes before the surgery - no big deal. It's actually kind of refreshing, like eye drops. I'm looking forward to swimming this summer.

Perhaps the stinging has something to do with dry eyes. I'd ask the doctor about it.
MamaBean

Return to Just Had It