1 year post lasik and still struggling BEWARE

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

1 year post lasik and still struggling BEWARE

Postby tomrenonv » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:17 am

I guess I can join a lot of people who sorely regret ever stepping foot in the Lasik Dr.'s office. I really didn't have a severe prescription but have always wanted to be without glasses. I tried and failed numerous times in my life to wear contact lenses due to the discomfort (little did I know what discomfort really meant)
Immediately after my lasik procedure I realized what I had gotten myself into. How stupid to think that this procedure wouldn't hurt, afterall they are slicing your eye open. The next day the clear vision I was expecting from everything I had heard just wasn't there. My vision was blurry and unbalanced. One eye was better than the other (a common occurrence from what I've read). The Dr. assured me that it was just a matter of a short amount of time before my eyes stabalized.
To make a long story short his estimation of when I would improve went from 30 days to 60 days to 90 days to 6 months to you may never improve.
My main problem is DRY EYE. This side effect is so grossly understated by the Dr. Patients need to realize that persistent dry eye is a real possibility and may ( as in my case) NEVER improve. I've been on restasis for 6 months now. It helps, but the pain is never gone. For someone who never had any problems with his eyes I've had : Scleritis, Blepheritis, a Conjuctival Cyst that was recently removed, and persistent conjuctival hemmoraghes. My poor eyes are so consistently red everybody i meet thinks i'm tired or stoned.
My original Dr. couldn't spare more than 5 minutes with me. He'd say everything was fine and send me off. I got so fed up with him I finally went to another Dr. for a second opinion. Even though the second Dr. didn't offer any "magic bullet" cures he did offer me some empathy and support. I had grown to HATE my original Lasik surgeon.
Today I went to an optometrist to get a pair of glasses that luckily for me will give me good vision again, but not cure my dry eye. The OD told me that the surgeon i had cuts the eye from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock and that the procedure done this way will always cause dry eye. He said the prefered method was to cut from 3'oclock to 9 o'clock. I had NEVER heard of this before in any research I had done.
I have beaten myself up for choosing to sacrifice my eyesight to this procedure. BUT, I have made it a goal to inform everyone I talk to about the hazards of this procedure. 99% of people are happy with Lasik, but if you fall into that 1% (maybe more) of people you are screwed for life. ARE YOU WILLING TO TAKE THE GAMBLE??? If i talk one person out of Lasik I am satisfied...
tomrenonv

surgical methods to reduce chance of dry eye

Postby salieeee » Thu May 29, 2008 3:29 am

Can anyone please update us on any surgical methods to reduce the chance of dry eye that can be discussed with the lasik surgeon like the above mentioned 3 to 9 o'clock flap??? thanks.
salieeee

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 29, 2008 4:11 pm

More recent studies indicate that flap position is not as likely as first thought to change the incidence of Lasik dry eye. Current thinking is the thinner the flap the less probability of dry eye and no flap procedures, such as PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik are less likely to induce dry eye.

If dry eye is pre-existing, it needs to be treated and fully managed before surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby boston » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:57 am

I have seen my eye doctor (at the most popular Lasik center in Boston) and they say, IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH DRY EYE, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO USE GEL/OINTMENT (E.G. GENTEAL GEL) EVERY SINGLE NIGHT WITHOUT FAIL. QUITE OFTEN THIS RESOLVES THE PROBLEM OVER TIME. The eye needs to be well lubricated and moisturized in order to heal properly, for best healing results.
Again, use gel every night, even if you seem to not need it entirely. I myself have just ordered the tranquil eyes nightime goggles for sleeping in, from The Dry Eye Shop in order to do this treatment, although Im sure a cheap $2 sleep mask would also help some, but this will help keep my eyes even further lubricated and healthy. She said do this for a month and lets check them again.
Good luck.
And wish me luck as well. I am 10 months post op, and still having a little dryness which can sometimes be bothersome as well.

Peace
boston

Postby Remander » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:40 am

I did not have severe/painful dry eye, but I needed to use drops daily (gel at night) for months. It finally went away after several months. Hang in there, and I bet it will come around in time.

Here is my (successful) Lasik history: http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... .php?t=820
Remander

Return to Had It A While Ago